Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Internal Revenue Service Rules

Many tax payers have had confusion when it comes to Internal Revenue Service rules. Uncertainties of what the Internal Revenue Service is or if the Internal Revenue Service will provide past tax forms often lead to questions like the ones answered below.

What is the Internal Revenue Service?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is an agency of the Department of the Treasury. It is the revenue service of the United States federal government. The Internal Revenue Service is responsible for collection taxes and is also responsible for interpreting and enforcing the Internal Revenue Code.

The Internal Revenue Service is headquartered in Washington D.C. Currently the IRS has five service centers across the USA. Those centers are located in Austin, TX, Cincinnati, OH, Fresno, CA, Kansas City, MO, and Ogden, UT. Many questions arise about the Internal Revenue Service; these questions can be answered by the Experts.

I need a copy of my Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form CP-575. How can I obtain a copy of this form from the Internal Revenue Service?

The Internal Revenue Service Form CP-575 is a letter than an individual receives from the IRS that grants the individual/entity their Employer Identification Number (EIN). If you have lost this letter you can use an official correspondence, like a quarterly tax payment coupon, from the Internal Revenue Service which will show the name of the entity as shown on the application and the EIN.

I was audited by the Internal Revenue Service and was summoned to examination by an IRS examiner. I received a 30 day letter that expressly states the tax payer must respond in writing if total amount of taxes for any tax period is more than $25,000. How do I do this?

If you incurred a tax bill of $25,000 or more and you would like to protest the amount then you would need to formally reply to the Internal Revenue Service by letter within the time frame they have provided. You would need to include in your letter the following information: your name, Social Security number, state that you are appealing the examination report, the portions of the report you are disputing, a brief explanation why you believe the report in inaccurate, your signature along with the date, and copies of the 30day notice and examination report.

Is it possible to get a copy of a gift tax Form 709 from the Internal Revenue Service that was filed ten years ago?

You could begin by filing Form 4506 with the Internal Revenue Service which is a Request for Copy of Tax Return. There is a small fee for the request. The IRS can only guarantee copies of past returns for six years. If they are unable to provide you with a copy per your request then your small fee will be refunded. If you had a tax preparer file your return you could also ask them if they still hold a copy.

How can I find out the last date that the Internal Revenue Service adjudicated my back tax debt?

You can begin by obtaining an account transcript from the Internal Revenue Service for each period that you have had an outstanding liability. This will provide all the dates. If you are unable to discern the information you seek from the accounting then seek the help of a knowledgeable professional to look over the accounting. They will be able to tell you whether or not the IRS is actively collecting or perhaps give you the statute of limitations expiration date. Once the Collection Statute Expiration Date (CSED) has expired no further collections will occur.

Having good information about the Internal Revenue Service rules can help when face with situations that involve the IRS. Experts can help answer what the Internal Revenue Service is or assist you in constructing a letter to the Internal Revenue Service regarding a 30 day notice. Get the answers fast and affordably by asking an Expert.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1338 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

6083 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals