What is insomnia?Insomnia can be described as difficulty falling asleep, staying awake or the combination of both. Insomnia can make someone feel as if they haven’t slept at all and this can even affect their performance and ability to function throughout the day. This condition not only affects someone’s energy but it can also affect their heath, work performance and quality of life. With this in mind, many adults experience insomnia, some people actually suffer from long-term chronic insomnia. The amount of sleep required for an adult can vary from person to person. Generally, adults will need seven to eight hours of sleeping. By making simple changes in someone’s daily habits can help them deal with sleepless nights. When someone has been diagnosed with insomnia or show symptoms many questions can arise regarding the causes and treatments. Individuals can read below to find many commonly asked questions answered by Experts.
What are the symptoms of insomnia and when should a doctor be seen?Signs and symptoms of insomnia may include the following but limited to
• Trouble falling asleep at night
• Waking up in the middle of the night
• Waking up too early
• Feeling fatigued throughout the day
• Feeling sleepy
• Lack of concentration leading to mistakes, or accidents
• Inability to focus on task
• Headaches, stomach ailments and an ongoing anxiety of lack or inability to sleep
A person who suffers from insomnia may take thirty minutes or longer to fall asleep and only get a few hours of sleep for three or more nights a week.
Individuals should see their doctor when insomnia affects their daily activities. A doctor can assess the condition and likely send them on to a specialist for testing and treatment.
What could one do to help insomnia?Firstly, a determination of the cause of insomnia must be made. Individuals will need to figure out if this is an ongoing problem or is it a sudden onset, it is related to a life changing event or because of stress, depression or anger issues as well as what is different now in relation to before the insomnia began. Individual may be able to pinpoint when and why this condition began buy looking at recent events in their life. There are some useful techniques that they could try to help this condition. Listed below are a few of these techniques:
• Maintain a healthy diet
• No caffeine after the last meal of the day
• Begin an exercise routine in the morning rather than the night
• Remove any televisions from the room. Stimulation such as watching TV before bed is not helpful for sleeping
• The use of natural sleep aids can be employed such as Valerian or Melatonin
• Individuals can switch rooms when trying to sleep
• Taking care of their mental and physical well-being.
• Examine the side effects of a medication can do this, switching medications can be done with the help of a pharmacist or your family doctor
• Discuss their current medical condition with their doctor to determine any reason for this insomnia
• Keeping a sleep diary noting the approximate times they feel asleep, how long they slept, if they woke up what time it occurred. Also, included any thoughts that they may have.
• It is important to make a routine of going to bed at a specific time
• It is important for individuals to know that whatever they are doing isn’t working and they must try something different.
Is insomnia during menopause a sign of bipolar?Unfortunately alone, anxiety and insomnia does not mean someone is suffering from bipolar. If someone has been given this diagnosis, it may be in their best interest to employ a new psychiatrist or a psychologist that primarily treats patients with all types of mental illnesses. These psychologists can run psychological assessments in order to help determine if the individual does in fact have bipolar.
While taking medications such as vitamin b complex and fish oil what could someone do for insomnia and body itching?If someone is taking large doses of vitamin B Complex, itching could be a possible side effect. This could even be a side effect of alcohol withdraw, however if someone does not drink alcohol, this side effect could subside within time. Stress can cause the firing of nerves that could cause this itching sensation. A doctor may prescribe medications such as Cetrizine (zyrtec). However, this medication can cause drowsiness and when used with alcohol this will only intensify the effects.
Insomnia can be not only a complex but frustrating condition that many people suffer from. When diagnosed with this condition, individuals suffer from the loss of sleep, and this could cause many issues. For more information regarding insomnia and its treatments, individuals can turn to the Experts for answers.