Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Social Security Government Pension Offset

What is Social Security Government Pension Offset (GPO)?

The Social Security Government Pension Offset (GPO) applies if a person gets a government pension that is not funded by the Social Security Association and is eligible for benefits if the person is a spouse or may be a widow/widower. The Social Security Government Pension Offset is allowed to reduce the amount of benefits that the person may receive as a widower or a spouse. If a pension that is received come from a person’s job where the person pays Social Security taxes, then the Social Security Government Pension offset will not affect the person’s Social Security benefits. Below are some of the most commonly asked questions about social security government pension offset.

Can a person apply for Social Security if the person is receiving a pension from a public school?

If a person has paid Social Security taxes at their work place for more than 10 years then the person will in many cases be allowed to apply for Social Security. Another way a person would be able to apply for Social Security is if the person is legally married to an individual that has also paid Social Security taxes for at least 10 years. If the person ends up divorced and they decide not to marry again; then the individual can file to receive Social Security Benefits on the ex-spouse (if the couple had been married for at least 10 years). The person’s Social Security benefits will receive only half of what the person receives every month. When doing this the individual will then be affected by the Government Pension Offset. The benefits that the person receives could be cut by 2/3 of the pension.

Can a person receive benefits once the age of 65 is reached? Although the person is currently receiving pension benefits from the Civil Service Retirement.

A person can be eligible to receive benefits from Social Security if the person’s wages has been paid to the Social Security Association. If the person had 30 years of paying taxes to the Social Security Association; this person can receive the full benefits and will not be affected by the Windfall Elimination Provision. The only way a person is affected by the Windfall Elimination Provision is it the person has worked less than 30 years; this then will reduce the person’s Social Security benefits. It could even terminate the person’s Social Security benefits depending on how much the person receives.

If a person doesn’t pay into Social Security and receives a pension; does this affect the spouse’s Social Security Benefits?

If the spouse works and has paid into the Social Security taxes; then that person can receive benefits from the Social Security Association. Although, if a person doesn’t contributed money to the Social Security Association their spouse will not be able to receive Social Security Spouse Benefits.

If a married couple in California is retired educators; can a spouse receive Social Security Benefits if the other spouse dies?

The California rule states that state educators have their own private pension program. This is because; state educators don’t pay money into the Social Security Association. Since, there is no money paid into the Social Security Association; a spouse will not be able to receive spousal benefits. There are 13 other states that do not allow teachers to pay into the Social Security Association. The states are known as “independent” systems for teachers that are retired.

People that are seeking information on Social Security Benefits and how to gather the proper information needed should reach out to Experts for help. The Social Security Government Pension Offset is a topic that affects retired workers that need help as to whether benefits will be reduced or not. Experts can help individuals by answering any questions they have on The Social Security Government Pension Offset.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Social Security Experts are online now

Social Security Experts on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more




3696 positive reviews
Megan C

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Master's Degree

4591 positive reviews


Juris Doctor

3071 positive reviews
See all Social Security Experts