Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

What is the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration or FMCSA is a part of the Department of Transportation that was put into effect on January 1st, 2000, and was designed as a follow up to the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act of 1999, and the primary mission is to prevent commercial motor vehicle related deaths and injuries. The FMCSA is in place to ensure safety in any type of motor carrier operations by enforcing strong regulations that target high risk carriers and the drivers.

If a carrier company is involved in an accident and the insurance says that they are canceled for non-payment, but reports that the company is covered with insurance to the FMCSA, is the person still covered and would a new company have to report that the coverage was canceled?

When a carrier company fails to pay the insurance, then the company has the right to drop the coverage for breach of contract. When the insurance reports to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, this does not reflect the actual coverage, but that the coverage was in place at one time. When the company shows the new insurance company the cancelation letter and gains new insurance, then the new company would have to report to the FMCSA the lapse of coverage and the new coverage.

What can a person do to get his/her things from a moving company that has either lost or refuses to return the person’s things?

There a couple of things that the person may be able to do. The first thing would be for the person to file a complaint along with filing a complaint with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Department of Transportation. The federal government may be able to get a response from an otherwise uncooperative carrier and the federal government takes these types of issues very seriously. The second thing that the person may be able to do is to file a lawsuit against the carrier for the lost belongings. If the value of the property is low, then a case can be filed in small claims court.

If a person moves from one state to another and is promised their belongings to arrive on a certain date, what can the person do if the belongings have not arrived and they keep getting the run around from the company?

Most companies carry a type of insurance that will cover lost or misplaced property, but these policies normally does not cover very much of the value of the property. The person would need to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Since the FMCSA requires that all commercial carriers or interstate moving services to participate in a neutral arbitration program, the person may have to resort to the arbitration step to receive his/her belongings or to be reimbursed for the value of the belongings.

If a person has a California Commercial Drivers License can they work for a company that is located in another state and what is the law in Washington State for the license?

According to Washington State’s law regarding Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDL) “RCW 46.25.160 Licenses issued by other jurisdictions. Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, a person may drive a commercial motor vehicle if the person has a commercial driver's license or commercial driver's instruction permit issued by any state or jurisdiction in accordance with the minimum federal standards for the issuance of commercial motor vehicle driver's licenses or permits, if the person's license or permit is not suspended, revoked, or canceled, and if the person is not disqualified from driving a commercial motor vehicle or is subject to an out-of-service order.”

Since the driver has a CDL the driver can drive in any state as long as the CDL is valid.

When a person has a CDL license and drives a truck with a carrier, there may be several questions that arise about the laws and rules for safety that have been set forth by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. When these questions arise, the person may seek the advice of an Expert to gain the insights into the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Traffic Lawyers are online now

Traffic Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Juris Doctor

561 positive reviews
Dimitry K., Esq.


Doctoral Degree

532 positive reviews


Juris Doctor

359 positive reviews
See all Traffic Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.