Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Federal Taxable Income

What is Federal taxable income?

Federal Income Tax or Federal Taxable Income is income that the Internal Revenue Service, also known as the IRS, levies on the amount earned by individuals, trusts, corporations, and any other legal entity. Federal income taxes are applied to all forms of income or earnings that a taxpayer has that are taxable. These earnings include, but are not limited to, capital gains and employment earnings. Listed below are a few questions pertaining to the Federal Taxable Income answered by the Experts.

What are the reasons why a person’s State Taxable Income could become greater than a person’s federal Taxable Income?

There could be many reasons why a person’s Federal Income could be lower than their State Taxable Income. These reasons could be because of personal exemptions which include federal amounts of $3,300/each and state amounts of $1,500/each. In most cases, this only applies to children. Another reason could be itemized deductions that include the fact that state income tax is deductable for federal purposes but not for state. Yet another reason could be that interest income from municipal bonds is taxable at the state level and not the federal level.

In the State of Illinois, with regard to a family trust, would there be capital gains tax in the amount of 5% when the value of the trust is $500,000?

In the State of Illinois, every trust and estate that is earning or receiving income is subject to taxes which are figured by multiplying the net income by a flat rate. In most cases, the State of Illinois bases most of their taxes on the Federal Income Tax Code. After January 2011, the tax rate has become 5% for a trust or estate and a 1.5% replacement tax also has to be paid by the trust.

I was unemployed and collected unemployment devoid of any tax. My wife was also unemployed but had a few dollars of taxable interest. Our combined income amounted to less than the standard deduction for a joint return. However, in the “Additions to Federal Taxable Income” section on Form D-400, it says that I need to enter $10,900 as my standard deduction. Shouldn’t it be $17,900 for a joint return? Line 35 also mentions an extra $3,000 that I need to add which results in a taxable income that I don’t have. What can I do?

The form you are using is the correct one and based on that, you have to enter a figure of $10,900 as your federal standard deduction if you are filing a joint return as a married couple. In most cases, the IRS also allows the individual and their spouse a $3,500 personal exemption allowance each. The total of the personal allowances and the standard deduction is what amounts to $17,900 but out of this only $10,900 is the actual standard deduction. With regard to line 35, you should be able to leave this blank unless you have a combined income of $100,000.The following link will help to fill out the form and page ten will explain line 35 in detail:

If a person worked in Iraq the previous year and the person’s W-2 states that their federal income was $75,000 and their state income was $158,000, does it indicate that there is a mistake in the figures? Shouldn’t they be the same?

When it comes to a person’s W-2, the Taxable Federal Income would be the amount shown in Box 1. The person may have also made several contributions that would not be included in this amount. If these contributions were tax deferred, they would be deducted from the Box 1 amount. Since an individual’s pre-tax status is only for federal tax purposes and not for state tax, the figure shown for State Taxable Income will be higher than the Federal Taxable Income. However, in each case it would be better to check with the person’s employer and ask them for a detailed list of why the amounts are different.

Federal Taxable Income is the amount of income that a person makes that the Federal Government levies taxes upon. When a person is dealing with their taxes, they may run into questions regarding why federal income amounts differ from state income amounts, what is the way they need to figure out their Federal Taxable Income and so on. At times like this, put your questions to Tax Professionals who can offer insights and information at a reasonable cost to help with your specific case.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1300 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4299 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.