Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Military Family Support

What is Family Support?

Family Support is what a soldier pays to support the day to day needs of their former spouse and/or children. When it comes to Family support the families and/or the soldier may have concerns regarding the amounts, what the former spouse is entitled to, or how to go about setting up the family support payments. Many times when dealing with family support in the military, questions could raise that one may not know the answers to. Read below where Experts answer questions regarding Military Support and Uniform Interstate Family Support Act.

If divorce papers have been filed and not yet finalized would spousal support still be owed at the end of the year separation?

Army regulation states that the soldier is required to pay temporary family support depending on family situation. The Navy also has a policy that provides family support without an agreement or court order.

How would a spouse of someone in the military get help from their husbands command to get help with family support?

If the spouses’ husband is on active duty the best way to move forward is to contact the commanding officer of the service member. The commanding officer will be sure to make the husband follow the army regulations dealing with family and spousal support.

Can a commanding officer or the Army do anything to make sure the divorced service member that is stationed in California and is living in on base housing pays their family support?

First thing one should do is call the legal assistance office in Fort Dix and the JAG should be able to help. For any additional questions regarding the uniform interstate family support act you can turn to the military lawyers for quick and reliable legal insight.

Does a soldier who has custody of the children, have to pay spousal support and child support?

The best option for the soldier is to hire an attorney and take the spouse to court. In certain military laws, the soldier would have to pay to help support the former spouse if that spouse can prove that he/she deserves to have the support. The one that has the children, however, is the one who receives the child support.

If a soldier’s spouse is pregnant and planning on leaving the soldier for reasons of cheating, and other reasons, what all would they be entitled to in the means of support?

Each branch of the military has their rules in regards to providing family support to their family, but without a court order the military cannot enforce the soldier to provide this support. Each branch of service does punish soldiers for not providing support for their families, but the punishments are not usually severe and the military cannot discuss these punishments with anyone. The Army however requires that a soldier pay his/her spouse family support in the amount equal to BAH type II. So if the BAH type II with dependant rate and the soldiers rank is $400 per month and the soldier is separated from the spouse and child, the soldier may have to pay $200 a month for each. Although this is not set in stone and the courts may award more or less depending on the state of the divorce.

When a soldier and his/her spouse separate or divorce, they may be confused as to where to turn next. Family Support is set up to help the former spouse and/or children survive financially every month. The soldier and former spouse would need to sit down and agree on the amount in which the soldier would pay in family support or they can set the amount up in a court order, but there are times when the soldier or former spouse may have questions that they need answered in order to move forward. Consulting an Expert is a great affordable way to get the advice that he/she may need to move forward in getting family support.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Military Lawyers are online now

Military Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

P. Simmons

Military Lawyer

Doctoral Degree

14627 positive reviews
Allen M., Esq.


Juris Doctor, Cum Laude

5173 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

1807 positive reviews
See all Military Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.