Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Extended Care Questions

What is long-term or extended care?

Long-term or LTC or sometimes referred to as extended care, is a type of program that helps with the needs of chronically ill or disabled people both in the medical sense and non-medical sense. These benefits help the people who cannot help care for themselves for a long period of time. Long-term care helps with daily tasks such as dressing, bathing, and using the bathroom. Long-term care can be provided to a person at home, through the community, in assisted living places, or in nursing homes. Long-term care can be used or needed by anyone of any age, but it is most commonly used for the elderly. Read below were Experts have answered the commonly asked questions relating to extended care.

If a person was living in a house with an elderly person that was moved to a long-term/extended care facility, how can they keep living in the house until the person dies? At which time the house will go to the person living there and the elderly person is not on state assistance?

The person living in the house would need to get a document from the person in the long-term/extended care facility that states that they have the right to live in the house until their death, at which time they inherit the property. If the person is on state health assistance, then the state would step in and have rights to the property before the beneficiaries would, but if the person is not on state assistance, then the inheritance would go through once the person in the long-term/extended care facility passed away.

If a person’s parent is going into a long-term/extended care facility and they have high credit card bills, would the child be responsible for the debt if the parent does not pay the bill?

In most cases the child would not be responsible for the debt, but the parent’s estate would be responsible once the parent passes away. When the parent dies, then the estate will pay the debt before any of the inheritance will be paid out. The child may want to consider having the parent file for bankruptcy, which would eliminate the debt completely.

Is there a Medicare or Medicaid waiver that allows a person to enter a long-term/extended care facility after being in the hospital for three days at no cost to them?

In most cases it is possible that Medicare/Medicaid will let a person enter a nursing home or long-term/extended care facility if the person has a medical condition that the person was in the hospital for three or more days. The payment of the long-term/extended care facility will happen thirty days after the end of the hospital stay. The person’s doctor will need to make the decision whether or not the person is in need of the long-term care facility.

Does Medicare cover a nursing home or can it take the place of long-term/extended care?

There are limited terms in which Medicare will pay for a nursing home. To get the benefits of the nursing home, the person would need to have an extended stay in a Medicare certified nursing home after their extended stay and reference from the doctor at a hospital. Even after this, Medicare may only cover a few weeks of the stay. If the person needed to stay longer, then the person would need to see if they are qualified through Medicaid, which only goes off of the assets of the person to be qualified.

Long-term/extended care is when a person is not able to take care of themselves because a disability or medical condition. When a family is faced with placing their loved ones into a long-term/extended care facility, then they may have questions about how to pay, what the laws are, what insurance to have, or any other questions regarding the policies or procedures. When these questions arise, then the person would need to seek the answers from an Expert.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Lawyers are online now

Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Doctoral Degree

8775 positive reviews

Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

24353 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

20727 positive reviews
See all Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.