Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Expatriation Tax Rules

An Expatriation Tax is a tax a person that renounces their citizenship. In the United States, the Expatriation Tax provisions under Section 877 and Section 877A of the Internal Revenue Code apply to United States citizens who are have been citizens of the United States for a long person of time who have ended residency in the United States for federal tax purposes. Read below where questions regarding expatriation taxes have been answered by the Experts.

If a person is named the "covered" individual; how is the Expatriation Tax Rate calculated? Is it a simple percentage applied to the value of the combined assets; if so what is the tax rate?

The Internal Revenue 877A consists of the income tax on that is gained from property held United States citizens that delete residency in the United States. Some people may feel as though property through the world has been paid sold to other individuals for a cost that this reasonable at the time that the prior owner leaves or when expatriation comes a day before. A net gain of $600,000 is not included in the taxes of expatriating individuals.

If a person has a green card for a long time and has not lived in the United States; Does the person have to pay Expatriate Taxes in case the person abandons the green car?

The Law states that: For long-term residents, per IRC 7701(b)(6), as amended, a long-term resident ceases to be a lawful permanent resident if (A) the individual’s status of having been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with immigration laws has been revoked or has been administratively or judicially determined to have been abandoned, or if (B) the individual (1) commences to be treated as a resident of a foreign country under the provisions of a tax treaty between the United States and the foreign country, (2) does not waive the benefits of the treaty applicable to residents of the foreign country, and (3) notifies the IRS of such treatment on Forms 8833 and 8854.

If a person is a green card holder and has purchased some investment in a foreign country; if the person decides to give up green card and move back to the United States, does the person have to pay any tax to United States Government on Capital Gain?

If a person lives in the United States or does not live here, the person will have to have proof that the person understands the tax laws that are given by the United States before leaving from there. The person will have to get a document that refers to the tax clearance. It is called a “Departure Permit” which can be received from the Internal Revenue Services.

How can a person delete tax liability in the United States if the person moved to another country? Will the person have pay American taxes if they are a dual-citizen of the United States and the Philippines?

A person must terminate their United States citizenship if income taxes are not an option. The framework that is related to references of the Section 877 of the Internal Revenue Code is for people that are citizens of the United States that want to be terminated as citizens of the United States.

There are different forms of taxes to be paid out to the United States Government. The Expatriation Tax is a type of tax that is paid by people that terminate United States citizenship for different reasons. What are the Expatriation Taxes? What are the rules of the Expatriation Taxes? Experts are here to help with concerns dealing with Expatriation Taxes.
Please type your question in the field below

4 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1300 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4280 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.