Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Estate Tax Law Questions

When a person dies they may leave an estate behind, an estate that may be made up of assets such as cash that are in bank accounts, real property, mutual funds, and many other things. If a person is to inherit the assets often they will need to look into what the estate may cost them in taxes. The estate may not have a net value high enough to trigger and estate tax, but to be safe an individual will want to look into what the estate laws are for their state and sometimes the state of the deceased. Below are questions that have been asked of the Experts, in regards to estate tax laws.

What is estate tax?

Estate tax, which may also be known as an inheritance tax, is a tax that is to be paid out by the individual who has inherited real property or money of another individual who has passed away. Internationally the terms estate tax and inheritance tax may not be interchangeable as an estate tax is the tax that has been gauged on the deceased’s assets and an inheritance tax has its basis on the legacies that the beneficiaries of the estate have received. In the United Kingdom an estate tax may also be known, though not legally, as a death duty.

How does estate tax work if the individual is a permanent resident of the United States but is a citizen of another county?

Taxable estates have the estate tax impressed upon the transfer of said estate of all decedents that are United States citizens or are residents of the United States. If an individual meet the requirements of the domicile residence analysis test, they will the same as a United States citizen and will be subjected to the estate tax laws on all of their assets world-wide. If two citizens of the United States are married and one of the individuals becomes deceased the transfer of assets to the survivor are not subjected to the estate tax, due to the Martial Deduction of Sec. 2056. However if the married couple consists of a United States citizen and a resident non-citizen, and the transfer or assets is in excess of $100,000; it is not going to be eligible for the marital deduction and the difference between the amount being transferred and $100,000 will be subjected to the estate tax, unless a qualified domestic trust have been put in place.

Can an individual pre-pay their estate taxes in the State of Arizona?

At this time it is not possible for an individual to pre-pay their estate taxes. There has been much discussion of this becoming possible somewhere in the future, but at this time it has not made in to the tax laws regarding estate taxes. However if an individual’s estate is valued at less than five million dollars then the estate will not be subjected to estate tax.

If an IRA is transferred through an estate to the beneficiaries is it subject to estate taxes?

When an IRA is transferred through an estate, it is not subject to estate taxes. If the transfer is to the surviving spouse, the IRA becomes the spouse and allows the spouse to keep contributing into the account. If the beneficiary is anyone else then the IRA would also become theirs with the difference being that they are not allowed to make contributions into it. However, the IRA may be continued. In either case of beneficiaries the IRA is able to be cashed out with the funds being penalized. However once the IRA is cashed out then the funds will be taxed.

If an IRA is passed on to a beneficiary, it may be continued, but only if it is passed to a spouse is it able to be contributed to. Any beneficiary may cash the IRA in without being penalized, but the funds will be taxable. If an individual has any questions regarding estate tax law they should seek the assistance of the Experts.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1338 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4600 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.