Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Ask an Expert, Get an Answer ASAP!

Double Taxation Problems

What is double taxation?

Double taxation is where two separate jurisdictions levy taxes on the same declared income, assets or financial transactions. In other words, it could occur with income tax, capital tax or sales tax. Certain countries have tax treaties to mitigate the effects of double taxation. In the U.S., the term double taxation usually refers to a situation where tax is levied on a corporation’s profits as well as on the shareholders’ income when they receive a part of this profit. Listed below are a few questions answered by the Experts on double taxation problems.

If a person was to start their own business and wanted to avoid double taxation and protect their assets, would an S-Corporation or a Limited Liability Company (LLC) be better for the person?

In most cases, both an S-Corporation and an LLC would provide asset protection to the owner as long as they followed the proper procedures and adhered to the guidelines. Double taxation generally happens when the corporation is taxed and then the employees of the corporation are taxed as well through their paychecks. To choose what is best for the business, it would be better to speak with an attorney and a CPA in the state where the business is going to be registered to ensure that all guidelines are met to avoid double taxation.

If a person wanted to start a company, would they want to start it in the State of Massachusetts so that it would be cheaper to avoid double taxation? And how would filing for an LLC versus a corporation affect this?

In most cases, filing for an LLC in the State of Massachusetts would cost around $500 and filing for a corporation would cost around $275. If you are planning to file for a corporation, it may be better to file as an S-Corp so that the business may get pass-through taxation and avoid double taxation. However, filing for an LLC is a less complicated process due to the absence of shareholders. If you have many shareholders, you may need the assistance of an attorney. For more information on this, visit

What is the difference between an S-Corp and a C-Corp?

An S-Corp is generally considered a pass-through entity where all the income passes through the shareholders so the company doesn’t pay taxes. Double taxation does not usually occur here because the only taxes that are paid are the personal taxes of the shareholders. A C-Corp, on the other hand, is generally taxed as a separate entity and files a corporate tax return. Here, the shareholders have to pay taxes on their personal income as well as on after-tax profits given to them by the corporation in the form of dividends—leading to double taxation.

What is the difference between an LLC and a corporation?

A corporation and an LLC are both considered limited liability entities as well as flow-through entities. In the case of a corporation, you could choose to be treated as an S-Corp to avoid double taxation. However, an S-Corp is more limited in terms of the kinds of shareholders that they have, so you may consider an LLC because they have more flexibility if you need to add shareholders later on.

In business, there are several rules and regulations that govern double taxation. While you may have come across some of the problems related to double taxation above, there could be others that pertain to your own unique situation. If you need more clarity on this topic, put your questions to an Expert for quick insights and information to deal with your own case.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Tax Professionals are online now

Tax Professionals on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Wallstreet Esq.

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

586 positive reviews
Mark D

Enrolled Agent

Master's Degree

1300 positive reviews

Tax Attorney

Doctoral Degree

4280 positive reviews
See all Tax Professionals
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.