Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle (DHSMV)

What is the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles?

The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles or DHSMV is a department of the Florida Highway Patrol and is where residence of Florida and visitors, gain driver’s licenses, register their vehicles, motor homes, and boats. The Highway Patrol in Florida may also assist if the person is involved in an accident or the vehicles break down on the roadside. The DHSMV also strives to provide safe and secure highway driving and many departments of the DHSMV are located throughout the state of Florida.

Can the state of Florida prevent a person from surrendering his/her driver’s license if the person feels it is not safe for them to drive anymore?

The person’s best course of action may be for the person to just let his/her license to be canceled. The canceling of the person’s license would not affect them in a bad way as far as credit rating and driving record, but it may be easier for the person to just let the license to be canceled. If the license is canceled, then the person could still use the license as photo identification and it would not look as bad on the person as it would if the person were to surrender the license.

If a person’s driver’s license is suspended for a Fundamental Rights violation, what is this type of suspension and how would a person resolve it?

When a person has a Fundamental Rights suspension on their driver’s license, it is for financial responsibility. If a person has this type of suspension on his/her license, then this means that he/she probably did not have the minimal amount of insurance coverage that is required by Florida or the person had past criminal fees that he/she did not pay. The person would need to contact the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles to see what the Fundamental Rights suspension is for and what the person would need to do to clear the issue up.

What would be the process to gain a Florida license without residency if a person buys a vacation home in Florida?

For a person to get a Florida driver’s license, the person would need to bring to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, proof of identity, proof of social security number, proof of residential address, and proof of completion of a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course or a driver’s license from another state. All documents that the person gives will be scanned and kept on file with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and the originals will be returned to the person.

What can a person do if they had a vehicle that they traded to a car lot and when they tried to register their vehicle it came back that the title was never taken out of their name and the car lot does not have any records from the time?

The person would need to go to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and order a duplicate title. The person would need to sign the title over and register it with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and pay the fees that are charged for the transfer. The result would be that the person would get the vehicle out of their name. The person could also keep after the dealership until the dealership took the title out of the person’s name.

When a person lives in the state of Florida, they have to handle all thing involving driver’s licenses and titles through the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles as well as all safety and safety procedures regarding the Florida highway system. When a person has questions regarding driver’s licenses, titles, or the safety of Florida’s highway system, then they would need to consult an Expert to gain the insight that they need.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Traffic Lawyers are online now

Traffic Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Juris Doctor

558 positive reviews
Dimitry K., Esq.


Doctoral Degree

532 positive reviews


Juris Doctor

359 positive reviews
See all Traffic Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.