Desktop Related Questions
Is your desktop computer not responding to any commands? Are you having problems in locating the hard disk icon on your desktop? When problems such as these occur, finding fast and reliable help is the key to a good repair. Read below where questions about desktops have been answered by Experts.
How to fix a Gateway desktop computer that keeps shutting down?
- First, click Start and type in 'msconfig' in the search box.
- Then, go to the startup tab and click on it.
- Then, uncheck all the boxes under the tab except the ones for antivirus.
- Finally, click OK and restart the computer.
If this fails to cure the issue, there might be a software problem that needs to be fixed. Other possible problems could be a defective motherboard or a faulty microprocessor. Troubleshoot each of these possibilities to find out the true fault.
How to reinstall an e-Reader on a Kobo desktop?
To uninstall a Kobo desktop:
- First, go to Control panel on the Windows Start menu.
- Then, select Add/Remove Programs or Uninstall a Program, depending on your version of Windows.
- After this, select Kobo from the installed application’s list.
- Next, click Uninstall/Change and then Uninstall.
- Finally, close the window.
- Go to the Kobo desktop download page.
- Then, click the option ‘Download Now.’
- Next, save the file on the desktop.
- When the download is complete, find the file and double-click on it.
- Finally, follow the installation wizard to reinstall the desktop.
How to retrieve the iPhoto icon on a desktop?
- First, drag the icon from the dock and unclick.
- Then, go to ‘Applications’ after opening the Macintosh HD.
- Next, search the icon in the column view for iPhoto and drop it back on the dock. This will reestablish the shortcut for the iPhoto icon.
- Finally, click the icon and open the program.
How to get back the hard disk icon on a desktop?
- First, click on the empty space on the desktop to view the Finder option near the Apple menu icon.
- Then, click on Finder and select the option ‘Go.’
- Next, select Home from the drop down menu and enter the Home folder.
- Then, locate the Library folder and open it.
- Inside the folder, search for the option ‘Preferences’ and open it.
- Next, locate the file ‘com.apple.finder.plist’ and move it to Trash.
- Then, close all the windows and open the applications.
- After this, click on the Apple menu icon and log out.
- Log back into the same account and check the options ‘Finder’ and ‘Preferences.’
- Finally, verify if the hard disk box is checked and this should resolve the issue.
How to access the index file on a Google desktop of a new computer from the old one?
- First, exit all applications and Google desktop.
- Then, go to '%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop\.'
- Then, enter the regular cache directory and remove all the files.
- Next, import all the index files from the backup cache directory into the regular one.
- Then, go to Start menu and click Programs.
- Finally, restart Google desktop.
How to change the desktop background on an Acer laptop?
- First, right click on the blank space on the desktop and click on the option ‘Personalize.’
- Then, click on the Desktop Background at the bottom of the window.
- Then, click on the drop down menu and select an image from the list of pictures available in the picture folder.
- Next, select the folder and right click on an available picture.
- Then, select the picture by checking the box in the upper left corner.
- Click on the drop down menu again and select the position of the image for the desktop background.
- Finally, click OK to apply the changes and close the Personalize window.
How to enable extended desktop mode to display different programs on two computers?
- First, download the ATI Catalyst version 6.4.
- Then, click Start.
- Next, go to Control Panel and click on Display.
- Then, enter the Settings tab and click the Monitor icon to select the display for extending your desktop.
- After this, click ‘Yes’ to enable the selected display.
- Next, check the ‘Extend My Desktop onto this Display’ box.
- Finally, click OK or Apply to save the changes.
What can cause the desktop screen on a laptop to go blank?
A faulty hard drive or a corrupted core windows file can likely cause this issue. Using a Windows Installation disk, perform a computer repair. In case this doesn’t solve the problem, replacing the hard drive will be the next best repair option.
A desktop displays files, folders and documents of various types in the form of icons that we save for our future reference. Thus, when these files get damaged or lost due to a malfunction, it can be very frustrating. To avoid such circumstances, consulting an Expert is highly recommended to restore to normal working conditions. Verified Experts are readily available not only to handle our issues effectively but also help us clarify our doubts through a one-on-one conversation anytime day or night.