Ask a lawyer and get answers to your legal questions

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Declaratory Judgment Act Questions

What is the Declaratory Judgment Act?

A declaratory judgment is a judgment given by a court in a civil case that clarifies and reiterates the rights, duties or obligations of one or more parties in a dispute. Its main goal is to provide clarity regarding the law or how the law applies given particular facts and circumstances. A declaratory judgment is usually issued when a party is threatened with a lawsuit but the lawsuit is yet to be filed or if the parties feel the rights under law and/or contract might conflict. It is legally binding but does not order either party to take any action.

Listed below are a few questions answered by the Lawyers on issues relating to declaratory judgments.

Do I need a lawyer to file a declaratory judgment, automobile title in Missouri?

The services of a lawyer are not mandatory for a declaratory judgment. It could be obtained through the circuit court in your county. You could contact the circuit court to understand how to go about this process. The Department of Revenue could be requested to issue a title to you. This would be your only option if your bill of sale from when you purchased the car, is unavailable. Listed below is a link to the online form for this process that could be purchased if the circuit clerk does not have any. Alternatively, forms can be procured from the clerk’s office.

I filed and served the defendant a declaratory judgment complaint. The defendant then filed an identical complaint against me a day later. Since both complaints are similar in nature, is there an option to file for a “motion to dismiss” in the interest of judicial economy? Would I then be considered the plaintiff?

A motion to consolidate could be filed where the two complaints or actions would be considered as one and the court would treat the second action (the complaint filed against you) as a counterclaim. In this type of a scenario, you would be the plaintiff and the other party would be the counterclaim plaintiff in the consolidated action.

I am a retired iron worker drawing a pension. I have obtained a similar (not identical) job elsewhere. Recently I received a letter from my previous company stating I am not entitled to a pension. Is this legally allowed?

In such a scenario, you could request the court for a declaratory judgment. A declaratory judgment is where the court would weigh the facts to establish the rights of the concerned parties. Once the judgment is ruled the court does not compel either party to take necessary action. The declaratory judgment would prove helpful to you because the court would determine whether the union is adhering to the law by stopping your pension because of your new job.

I am looking to file an appeal on a declaratory judgment case in Georgia. Which court should I file this appeal in?

Usually the notice to appeal is filed in the superior court. Subsequently, the court clerk of that particular court transfers the file to the court of appeals of that state. If the court of appeals also rules against you, the Supreme Court in Georgia would be the only court where you can make a final appeal. This is the hierarchy of court which needs to be followed to make an appeal. If you incorrectly skip the hierarchy while representing yourself or cross the deadline to file an appeal, you no longer have the right to appeal. The law does not pardon a person representing themselves at court because it should be their duty to be aware of the nuances of the law. If your attorney has committed an error, there is a possibility to file a complaint of malpractice against him with the state bar and perhaps a potential lawsuit for malpractice if you can produce evidence that your chances of winning the appeal were strong.

What legal options do I have if a person entrusted with the responsibility of obtaining a copyright for me for my book adds his own name to the application?

In this scenario a declaratory judgment compared to any other cause of action would be most suitable. You could file a suit in federal court requesting the court to issue a declaratory judgment in your favor.

A declaratory judgment is a just and legal manner to resolve conflicts, disputes or disagreements without or before getting into actual and entire trial proceedings. It also does not compel the parties to take action. Hence it is a way to know what the concerned parties’ rights and responsibilities are, what they are entitled to and what the court’s legal stand is on the issue. This helps in answering or resolving most conflicts. If you need more information regarding your particular situation it would be helpful to consult with an Expert.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Lawyers are online now

Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

24659 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

2132 positive reviews
45390 positive reviews
See all Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.