Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Questions about DCFS Regulations

DCFS is a government agency that responds to reports of child abuse or neglect. Families who are involved with DCFS are often separated until an investigation has been completed to determine if child abuse or neglect has occurred. This can be a trying time for both parents and children. Many parents are unsure of their rights when dealing with DCFS. Experts on JustAnswer frequently answer questions that parents have when dealing DCFS investigations. Take a look at the top five DCFS questions on JustAnswer.

What can a couple do to regain their children after domestic violence?

Most couples have arguments or disagreements from time to time. When situations get heated and physical aggression takes place, children often end up witnessing the altercations. Domestic violence witnessed by children can be considered a form of emotional abuse of children. Domestic violence between the parents can eventually spread to the children. Young children tend to mimic the conduct of their parents, which is why DCFS gets involved and children are often removed from the home. In order for a couple to regain custody of their children, they must first work through their issues and try to conform to what DCFS considers appropriate for a married couple. If the couple can convince them that there is no threat of future violence, they can usually get their children back.

Can a person sue DCFS for removing children based on false allegations?

Situations can arise that can leave a person wanting justice. Sometimes the best course of action is to take the individual or organization to court. You have the right to sue anyone. The important question though is can you win? You would usually have to prove conclusively that DCFS was negligent or intentionally violated your rights by removing the children from your care, based on unfounded allegations.

Is it legal for a DCFS case worker to search a home for no reason?

In most cases, a DCFS case worker works with parents as far as home visits are concerned. However, they are not required to give any advance notice of a home visit or search. Having an open door policy with your case worker is usually the best approach to take. When you let your cases worker know that they are welcome to come into your home at any time, they will usually not take undue advantage of your hospitality. On the other hand, if a DCFS workers sense that you don’t want them in your home, it can lead to suspicion and repeated visits. Once DCFS is involved in your life, you usually have little choice in what they choose to do and how they choose to do it. Only when they act with an abuse of the power bestowed on them, is it actionable. If you think the case worker is abusing his/her power, you can go to the court with the information. If you need help with an assessment of your case to determine the best course of action available to you, you can ask a Family Lawyer on JustAnswer for the Expert legal insights.

Can a person deny DCFS information if they think DCFS is working against them?

When dealing with DCFS, the most important thing a parent can do is to comply. The more you deny them and the more you argue with them, the harder it will be for you to be reunited with your children. Federal law requires DCFS to try and reunite you with your children if at all possible. You shouldn’t give them any reason to decide otherwise. Lack of cooperation can lead to suspicion and make DCFS case workers evaluate your case unfavorably. You should focus on meeting the requirements in the planning goals that they have made for you. When parents cooperate and show an improvement, DCFS usually has no reason to continue keeping the children away.

What can be done to get DCFS to look at a case in a timely manner?

Dealing with DCFS can be frustrating for a parent who wants their case handled fast. Most DCFS case workers are over worked and under paid, which results in a slower process for the parents. There are a few things that you can do as a parent to speed up the process. First, you should keep in contact with your case worker. Call him/her just to let them know that you are out there and that you want to move forward. Let them know that you are willing to take all the appropriate steps to ensure the matter progresses smoothly. If you feel like you are not making any progress, contact their supervisor.

You should make yourself available to your case worker as well. If the caseworker or anyone at DFCS needs something from you, try to be accommodating to their request. Another thing is to tell the judge how your case is progressing. The court is always eager to resolve these issues and get them off the docket. If there is something a judge can do to help, they usually will.

There are times that you need answers to your tough questions — questions that may be too sensitive for you to consult a friend or co worker. Sometimes, you may want to discuss your issues with a neutral party who is experienced in the legal area that you are dealing with. If you are having issues with DCFS or just need answers to your questions pertaining to DCFS, you can ask a Family Lawyer on JustAnswer. Experts on JustAnswer answer many of the legal questions related to DCFS in an efficient and knowledgeable manner.
Please type your question in the field below

5 verified Family Lawyers are online now

Family Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Doctoral Degree

20441 positive reviews

Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

11987 positive reviews

Attorney and Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

9034 positive reviews
See all Family Lawyers