Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

C1/D Questions

What is a C1/D Visa?

The C1/D visa is a non-immigrant visa used for short term stays in the U.S. in specific work situations. It is given to ship or airline crewmembers who don’t have U.S. passports so that they can enter and exit the country in the course of their duties. This visa can be issued either to individual crew members or the whole crew at one time. According to immigration law, C1/D visa holders need to enter and leave the country on board the same airline or vessel.  C1/D visa holders who are crew members cannot work on domestic flights or movements of a vessel within domestic territory. They can perform their duties only on stopovers for international flights when this kind of flight has only one aircraft which leaves from and stops at a location outside the United States. C1/D visas can also be given to passengers who are going to the U.S. to join a commercial aircraft or ship.

Can a C1-D visa holder get a student visa in the United States?

No. Unfortunately, a C1-D visa is specifically for a crew member to enter and leave the country on the same vessel. The visa holder will not be able to apply for any other visa. He/she must return home to apply for a different visa.

I am a C1-D visa holder who married a U.S. citizen. Can I change my status in the United States?

It is not possible for a C1-D visa holder to change status in the U.S. If you are sponsored by your spouse, you would have to return to your country for an immigrant interview and could be subject to a 3-10-year bar to return to the U.S.

I entered the country on a C1-D visa and later quit my job. Can the new boss be the sponsor?  

Even if your employer wants to sponsor you as an employee, you would have to go back to your country and apply for an immigrant visa. You cannot adjust your status while remaining in the United States. If you stay in the U.S. for more than 180 days out of status, your departure would trigger a 3-year ban from re-entering the U.S. If you over stay by a year, you could be banned for 10 years.

Is it possible for me to use my C1-D visa to travel through the U.S. while not on duty?

No. You can only use this visa as a passenger to join a vessel or an aircraft. If you get caught doing otherwise, you could get deported and barred from entering the U.S. for ten years.

As a C1-D visa holder, how can I get a Green Card?

It is not possible to adjust your status in the United States if you entered the country as a crew member.

There are, however, five ways to live permanently in the U.S. These are through family, employment, asylum, investment, or a lottery. They are explained below.

  1. Family – In order to immigrate immediately, you have to be sponsored by an  immediate family member,  like a spouse who is a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Citizen’s children who are over 21 years of age. In comparison, it would probably take between 4 -12 years to come if you are sponsored by a U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident parents, siblings who are U.S. Citizens, or a spouse who is a Lawful Permanent Resident.
  2. Employment – You need to prove you would not be taking a job from a U.S. worker. The less experience and education qualifications you have, the harder this is to prove.
  3. Asylum – You need to prove you could be persecuted, tortured, or killed if you go back to your home country and that this could happen to you based on your race, nationality, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. You cannot claim asylum because you run the risk of falling victim to a crime or bad economic conditions, just as anyone in your country might.
  4. Investment – This could amount to around $1,000,000 for residency, or $100,000 to $200,000 to begin the application for a temporary visa.
  5. Lottery – This is rare, as you are competing to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Immigration Lawyers are online now

Immigration Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3989 positive reviews
Wilton A. Person

Immigration Lawyer

Juris Doctorate

3597 positive reviews
Law Girl


Doctoral Degree

451 positive reviews
See all Immigration Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.