Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

CPA Questions

What is CPA?

A CPA is a Certified Public Accountant, there are many accountants throughout the United States, but not all accountants are CPA’s. In order to become a CPA, the individual must take and master a number of difficult tests that is given by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. In many states, the state requires the CPA to take and pass an additional test for that state. There are many accountants, but if they are not a CPA then they are not allowed to do the certain duties only a CPA can do.

What duties does a CPA do?

A Certified Public Accountant can do many different jobs and tasks. A CPA offers the basic income tax preparation and advice for a number of clients including single individuals, small business owners and corporations. A CPA also does basic business record keeping, auditing and consulting work. In order to keep their CPA license, the individual must go every three years and take 120 hours of education classes in order to stay up to date on any changes that come along in their profession.

In the state of California, if someone sold their CPA business and the contract says that the owner will offer up to 80 hours of training and support at the buyers request, if the buyer does not ask for it does the owner have to offer a credit?

In this specific case if the contract allows the buyer 80 hours of training and support and if the buyer does request this offer, then the owner has to provide it. Now, if the buyer does not request this, then the owner is not obligated to offer a credit.

In the state of Florida can a CPA can have a business under a corporation under Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code?

A CPA in the state of Florida can be included as a professional corporation. The corporation will need to file for a Form 2553 with the IRS stating to be taxed under the Subchapter S. All types of professionals routinely file for professional corporate status.

In the state of California if someone’s CPA changed their accounting without permission which has caused the IRS to audit the business can the business owner sue if the IRS does not choose the owners side?

In this case, this is what people call malpractice. The owner does have the right to sue the CPA for the taxes that was based on neglect when changing the accounting process. The owner should be able to receive a reimbursement for any damages. Keep in mind that a professional malpractice does have a one year statute of limitations in the state of California, with that being said, the one year does not start until after discovering what has happened.

When hiring your own CPA many questions can arise. When needing CPA help or when the many CPA questions do arise, don’t take the legal matters into your own hands; contact the thousands of Legal Experts online who are available many hours of the day to help assist you in your time of need.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Business Lawyers are online now

Business Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Dimitry K., Esq.


Doctoral Degree

1611 positive reviews
MShore Law


Doctoral Degree

1233 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

827 positive reviews
See all Business Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.