Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Consumer Credit Report Questions

Consumer credit reports are records of a person's credit activities. The report lists all of your credit accounts, active loans, credit card balances and your history of paid bills. Lenders use credit reports to determine a person's ability to repay personal debt. On occasion, there may be misleading information on a credit report that must be dealt with to ensure your credit score. Below are a few questions regarding consumer credit reports.

I have a utility bill on my credit report and it's from the year of May 2000. The utility company is trying to make me pay the bill. I figure after the seven year rule with the Fair Credit Act, it should be eased off my report and I should not have to pay it. What should I do? I live in Texas.

If you were never sued by the utility company and there was never a judgment against you, you can contact the three credit reporting agencies and dispute the claim and have it removed. The credit reporting agencies will contact the utility company and ask them to verify that the debt is less than 7 years old. If the utility company cannot verify the age of the debt, the credit reporting agencies will usually remove the debt within 30 days.

Texas has a four year statute of limitations on debt collections. This means without a judgment, the utility company will not be able to pursue the debt. You need to send a letter to the utility company explaining the statute of limitations has expired for this debt and you will file a complaint under the Fair Credit Reporting Act if they continue to report the debt.

I have a judgment showing on my credit and it was first listed in March of 2004 from North Carolina; will it automatically go off my credit report in March 2011? I am trying to buy a house and have to have that judgment cleared up in order to get the mortgage. Should I wait until March and see if it falls off and not stir up the pot.

Waiting until March is a decision that you will have to make. It is possible that the reporting will stop after 7 years instead of 10, but the creditors are not required to stop reporting until 10 years. Usually when you owe someone money, they are not inclined to let you off the hook so it is very possible that the debt will still be showing on your report. If you don't have the paperwork from the original judgment, you may be able to contact the court and find out the dates of the original judgment. If you can determine the actual start date of the judgment, you will be able to figure out when the 10 years is ended.

How do I find out what suspicious activity is linked to my SSN that is preventing me from getting a job?

You can get a free copy of your credit report from each of the major credit bureaus. It is free of charge and is operated by the government. It only takes a few minutes to receive your report. Once you have it, you can look for anything that may be an issue. If you find something, you can file a dispute through the credit bureau. To get your free credit report, go to:

Another free report that you may want to look into is ChexSystems. They are in charge of keeping all records of bad checks that have been written to merchants. They may have information on bank accounts that have been sent to collections.

You can also request your criminal record to determine what is listed that may deter a potential employer from hiring you. This isn't free and will cost you $41. To learn more, follow this link:

I filed bankruptcy in 2004 chapter 13 and it was discharge in 2008. A creditor has reported a debt that I paid off in 2009 as included in bankruptcy in 2009. How can the credit bureau report this as negative until 2016 when the debt was included in the bankruptcy filed in 2004?

When a person files bankruptcy, the bankruptcy will stay on their credit report for 10 years. However, the debts that were attached to the bankruptcy show as discharged debt in the bankruptcy. If the debt is showing otherwise, you can challenge the debt. Once you challenge the item, the credit report agencies have to verify the information. If they cannot verify the information, they are required to remove the item within 30 days.

If you are having issues with your consumer credit report, don't hesitate to ask an Expert in consumer protection law to evaluate the details of your case and provide legal insights.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Consumer Protection Lawyers are online now

Consumer Protection Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Doctoral Degree

6904 positive reviews

Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3417 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

1598 positive reviews
See all Consumer Protection Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.