Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Consumer Complaint Questions

A consumer complaint is filed against a business which does not provide services promised and a resolution cannot be obtained between the consumer and business. The complaint is made with the Better Business Bureau or the Federal Trade Commission. These agencies ensure consumers are satisfied with the services promised and they will deal with the company to get a resolution for the consumer. Ask a Lawyer for information to your specific case. Below are questions consumers have asked the Experts.

How to file a consumer complaint?

To file a complaint, go to the Federal Trade Commission web site and find the link for consumer complaints. Click on that link to make the complaint. Once you have filed, you will receive a confirmation and someone from the FTC will contact you about your complaint. You need to explain your reason for the complaint and supply all information that you have about the company. The process may take some time but you should see results. Most consumer attorneys require money in advance. Before you hire an attorney, give the FTC a chance to resolve the issue for you.

Is a lawyer required when filing a consumer complaint and, if so, who pays the lawyer fees?

If you want to place a complaint, an attorney is not required.

How to file a consumer complaint when a replacement phone was supposed to be new but it was refurbished?

If the seller will not uphold the purchase agreement and warranty, then you will need to file a consumer complaint with the FCC. Filing only takes a few minutes and you can file online. Explain why you were not satisfied with the treatment given by the cell phone dealer and that you want your phone replaced with a new one, not a refurbished on. Here is the link to the FCC. 

If you purchased the phone through a retailer, you will need to file a complaint through the state’s Governor's Office of Consumer Protection. This office is in charge of making sure the consumer is treated fairly and deals with complains in a similar fashion as the FCC. You will receive notice of any communication.

Should a consumer complaint be filed if a company continues to draw money for services not rendered?

If you have tried to resolve the issue with the company and you cannot gain any ground, you should file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. You can also file a complaint with the state’s Attorney General's office and the Federal Trade Commission. Once these agencies start looking into allegations of poor business practices, the company is more inclined to resolve the matter with you to avoid any attention from government offices. If you cannot recover your money, you can take the matter to small claims court (if the amount is less than $5000); no attorney is necessary.

When a consumer is not happy with services provided or were charged for something they never received, filing a complaint is the best way to go. It can be confusing if you are not aware of your rights and also the rights of the company. However, filing a complaint will most likely get a positive resolution as companies do not want a bad reputation. For more information on how to file and what to expect, ask a legal Expert on JustAnswer for timely answers. 

Please type your question in the field below

4 verified Consumer Protection Lawyers are online now

Consumer Protection Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Juris Doctor.

6800 positive reviews

Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

3400 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

1587 positive reviews
See all Consumer Protection Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.