Ask a lawyer and get answers to your legal questions

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Questions on Civil Rights Laws

Civil rights are a set of rights which protect a person's freedom from unlawful infringement by a government or private organization, and an assurance that a person has the ability to participate in civil or political life within the state without being repressed or discriminated against. Civil rights protect a person's integrity (both physical and mental), life as well as safety. Civil rights protect people from being discriminated based on ones age, race, gender, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, right to privacy, freedom of speech, thought, expression, movement and freedom of the press. Many people are unaware of the expanse that civil rights allow us to partake in everyday life. To learn more about civil rights, take a look at the questions below that have been answered by Experts.

One year ago (April 2011) my civil rights were violated in a hotel in Delaware. When I went to dine in the dining area of the hotel, there were no tables available so I was forced to sit in a separate room alone and made to carry my own food. Due to my disability, I had asked for assistance from the kitchen help. I was treated rudely and abusively. I threatened to sue and the hotel sent me a letter with a check if I agreed to end any attacks toward the hotel. What should I do? Take the money or sue the hotel?

Based on the information that you have given, it would be hard for you to prove that your civil rights had been violated. You were seated in another room due to the lack of tables, not because of your disability. The law requires that establishments provide reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities. However, the law doesn't require the hotel make people move from a table to make room for the disabled. Generally, tables in dining areas are either held by reservation or as a first come-first served basis. Because there were no tables left, the hotel still made accommodations for you to dine.

As far as taking the check or not, that would be your choice. However, if you choose to sue, you will have a difficult time proving the hotel was discriminating against your civil rights. Your only defense is that the hotel didn't remove customers from a table and allow you to be seated in the dining area. This isn't covered under disability law.

This concerns both medical malpractice & civil rights - doctors and a hospital refusing to comply with the American Disabilities Act concerning interaction with the Deaf. I am being refused treatment, and in one case (my biggest concern, right now) I was "given" one doctor that I had to see, and his negligence has led to diabetic ulcers & wounds on my feet. What can I do?

You can file a complaint with the US Department of justice concerning the ADA violations. Once you file the complaint, your allegations will be investigated. If there is evidence of violations, it is possible that the people involved would be sued for not complying with the ADA regulations. If you plan to sue those who have committed the violations, you will need the legal assistance of an attorney. The malpractice/negligence will also require the services of an attorney. If you are unable to pay for attorney fees, many attorneys are willing to work on a contingency basis.

If a judge puts a temporary restraining order on an ordinance that was to be put on a ballot, is that an infringement on the voters civil rights?

Usually, this type of action wouldn't be considered a violation of civil rights. While the judge's actions may not be appropriate or correct, he/she is not in violation of civil rights. Civil rights aren't generally violated by the actions of the court. The reason for this is the majority of civil issues are brought about by the lack of due process. If you are fighting the decision in the court system, you are receiving due process. At this point, your best option would be to appeal the judge's decision in the Court of Appeals and state system. If you still cannot get the issue resolved, you can take the issue to Federal court.

Can you tell me if my employer violated ANY of my civil rights, by publishing a report that I informed her I was suicidal into the company's computer ? This file can be accessed by any employee who has the clearance to submit a report on this system. She exposed my name to the file as well as my mental state.

This appears to be more of a privacy issue rather than a civil rights issue. Because of the circumstances, it is possible for you to sue your employer on the grounds of invasion of privacy. You may be entitled to damages for your legal rights being violated. If you would like to learn what damages you may be entitled to, you can follow this link:

Civil rights are set up to protect people from unjust treatment by government or private organizations. To learn about civil rights and how they affect your everyday life, you should consult an Expert to clarify your doubts. If you feel your civil rights have been violated, an Expert in civil rights law will be able to assist you with your individual situation.
Please type your question in the field below

6 verified Lawyers are online now

Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

24699 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

2132 positive reviews


52464 positive reviews
See all Lawyers