Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Civil Liberties Act Questions

Civil Liberties consist of specific rights that include freedom of religion, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, freedom of speech, right to privacy and the right to due process. Also included in these civil liberties are the freedom from slavery and forced labor, and freedom from torture and death. Below are a few of the more commonly asked questions regarding civil liberties that have been answered by Experts.

Can a private citizen with no arrest record or any other records be put on a "to watch" list by the local police dept.? Isn't this a violation of the person's civil liberties?

These watch lists do exist and a private citizen can be added to them. There is no infringement of a person's civil liberties by merely being on a watch list. While the Constitution limits unreasonable search and seizures, checking in on a person who is on a watch list doesn't constitute an unreasonable search or seizure.

There are times when the police have reason to believe that a person is about to commit a crime but the evidence is usually from one source. This generally isn't enough to convict the person for conspiracy because they have yet to commit it. However, this is enough reason to watch the person. This is usually the basis for a watch list. There are many reasons for these watch lists. Another good example is when the police watch a person who is occupying an area where they normally wouldn't be expected to be.

Can the American Civil Liberties Union file to stop Federal legislations that endanger the lives of U.S. Citizens? If so, what is the process?

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) would be able to challenge a bill if the bill was in violation of the constitution. What happens in a situation like this is they would file a suit that states the bill violates a specific constitutional right. In this situation, more than likely, the ACLU would assert that the bill is in violation of the 4th amendment. However, without knowing the actual wording of the bill, it would be hard to say.

While the ACLU could challenge the bill, whether or not they would decide to would be up to them. In order to find out if they would want to fight the bill, you would have to speak with someone in the ACLU directly.

My civil rights have been ignored and violated like they don't exist for three years. I got the U S postal investigations involved and they certified three felonies and the local commonwealth attorney refused to prosecute identity theft, credit card fraud, and mail fraud. I have evidence to prove bank fraud, check fraud, forgery and perjury. What can I do?

If the prosecuting attorney in your area has decided not to prosecute, it could be a matter of them not have jurisdiction over the matter. The US postal service has certified that these crimes were committed against you, so you need to go beyond the prosecuting attorney. It appears that you may need to contact the US attorney in the district where you live. The US attorney is a federal prosecutor who will have jurisdiction over this matter. You also need to contact the bar association in your county and request a list of the personal injury/Civil Rights attorneys and start contacting them if you want to seek relief in civil court.

If someone received notice from the Florida parole commission today informing them that they changed the law in 2011 and now they cannot be considered for restoration of their civil liberties until 2016. They have completed all aspects of their probation and haven’t broken any laws. Is there another way to have their civil rights restored?

In Florida, there are no other legal measures that can assist this individual in having their civil rights restored without going through the parole commission. They will have to request an early release though the parole commission. The parole commission will be the only office with the authority to release the individual or not. While they have completed all of the appropriate steps in their parole, they will have to comply with the rules of the parole commission. The parole commission is the office that presents all clemency and pardon request to the governor.

We are all entitled to civil liberties. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and right to privacy are just a few of the civil liberties given to us by our constitution. Many times, people's civil liberties are challenged or taken from them unlawfully. If this has happened to you, you need to ask an Expert for legal insight. An Expert can assist you in making the right decisions that will help you with you individual situation.
Please type your question in the field below

7 verified Lawyers are online now

Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Doctoral Degree

8775 positive reviews

Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

24048 positive reviews


Juris Doctor.

19870 positive reviews
See all Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.