OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor, Get an Answer ASAP!

Questions on Chlamydia Treatment

Chlamydia is a sexually transmitted infection that can be contracted during oral, vaginal and anal sex. While women seldom have any symptoms, a man may have discharge from time to time. The best way to find out if a person has chlamydia is to have an exam performed by a doctor. To learn more about chlamydia and the treatment for the infection, take a look below at the questions that have been answered by the Experts.

I was treated for chlamydia and now have vaginal tightness, missed periods and discharge. What could this be due to?

If a woman is being treated for chlamydia and has been on medication for the last few days, it may be possible for her body to still show symptoms of the infection. The symptoms are generally vaginal irritation, pain and discomfort during sex. If she has missed a period, it is usually best for her to take a pregnancy test to ensure that she isn't pregnant. If the pregnancy test reads negative, a number of other things could have caused a delayed period such as stress, illness and possibly the chlamydia as well. However, if she continues to not have a period over the next few weeks, it may be better for her to consult an OB/GYN at the earliest. Also, in most cases, if the woman is taking medication for chlamydia, the symptoms should clear up soon. If the symptoms continue, another trip to the doctor may be necessary since the continued discharge may be a sign of a different infection. In some cases, vaginal tightness could also be attributed to a fear of intercourse that has developed because of the disease. This may go away with time and a consultation with the doctor may also help. However, it is important that the woman's sexual partner is treated for chlamydia as well. If this isn’t done, the partner will continue to return the infection during intercourse.

Does chlamydia go away if not treated?

Chlamydia won't just go away if it is left untreated. In fact, the male can carry chlamydia for years without their knowledge because the symptoms can be very mild. This is why it is so important for both people to be treated for the infection. A man can get chlamydia from the first time he engaged in unprotected sex and pass the infection on to his sexual partner. Although safe sex will help prevent the transmission, it is not a 100% guarantee. In this situation, it is important to speak with an OB/GYN about possible antibiotic treatments for chlamydia to eradicate it as soon as possible.

Can chlamydia lie dormant for 20 years, without causing problems, if a woman has had only one sexual partner over that time?

Basically, if a woman has had only one sexual partner over20 years, it seems most likely that the chlamydia was transmitted from the same partner. While chlamydia doesn't lie dormant, some women never have any signs of the infection. However, across the span of 20 years, a woman's OB/GYN should have ideally found the chlamydia during routine exams and pap smears. Therefore if the woman's husband claims to have had chlamydia 20 years ago, the wife too would have contracted the infection at that time if the couple wasn't using protection during sex.

If someone doesn’t get treated for chlamydia for several years, can they still get pregnant?

While chlamydia has been known to cause infertility, many women who have had the infection can still get pregnant. Usually, if a woman is unsuccessful in getting pregnant after trying for over several months to a year, she should get an examination done by an OB/GYN. Some women have a test called an HSG performed. This is simply a specific type of x-ray that checks the woman's fallopian tubes for blockages. Another option would be for the woman to have a laparoscopy done which is a procedure that checks for scarring inside the woman's pelvis that can prevent pregnancy.

Can you cure chlamydia even after five years and still have kids?

Generally, chlamydia can be treated at any point in time simply by using zitromax (1 gram) otherwise known as azithromycin. While men do not get seriously affected by this condition, chlamydia that is untreated for long periods in women can cause pelvic pain and pelvic scarring that leads to blockages in the fallopian tubes. It is possible to have children after having chlamydia. However, it is a good idea for a woman to first have her fallopian tubes evaluated by an OB/GYN by way of an HSG. This procedure can detect if the tubes are open or blocked. If they are blocked, an OB/GYN can typically unblock the tubes themselves or direct the woman to another OB/GYN who can perform this procedure to aid conception. Chlamydia can often be an embarrassing subject for a person to discuss with a doctor. However, it is important to get this infection under control with medication to avoid further complications. If you have questions or concerns about chlamydia, ask an Expert for medical assistance and suggestions for treatment based on the details of your case.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified OB GYN Doctors are online now

OB GYN Doctors on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Dr. C.

Board Certified

Doctoral Degree

2537 positive reviews
Monika Hearne, M.D.

Board Certified OB/GYN

Doctoral Degree

5753 positive reviews
Dr. K.



3215 positive reviews
See all OB GYN Doctors