Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Child Support Law Related Questions

There are many issues with child support that can arise unexpectedly after a court order is in place. Parents are often unaware of these child support issues, and dealing with these legal implications can be quite challenging for both parents. Many times children receive less than they should in child support as a result of parents’ ignorance of specific child support laws.

Child support questions are among the most asked legal questions online. Hiring an attorney to ask specific questions can not only be expensive, it can also be nerve wracking especially if you do not know exactly what or who to ask. Parents can seek help from Experts on JustAnswer to get their child support law questions answered. The Experts on JustAnswer provide fast and affordable answers to tough child support questions every day.

Here are five of the most frequently asked child support enforcement questions on JustAnswer.

Verbal Agreements on Child Support – Do they hold up in court?

Sometimes, parents come to a verbal agreement on how the child support or child custody will be handled after a legal separation or divorce. Many parents find out that the other party in the agreement could — and often will — change their mind, leaving bitter feelings and unanswered questions. Verbal and out of court agreements may not be legally binding and may be difficult to enforce in court without adequate documentation to prove the agreement. Whenever you reach an agreement, it should always be put in writing and duly filed with the court in your area. When written agreements are not filed with the court they are usually not considered legal binding agreements. Without having your agreement filed in court, no child support enforcement action can be legally taken. If you are not sure if your agreement is legal, you can ask lawyers on JustAnswer and seek their guidance.

How Long Do You Have to Pay Child Support After a Child Graduates from High School?

Each state may have different child support laws. However, in most states child support usually ends when the child reaches 18 years of age or after graduation from high school. Even if a child is more than 18 years of age, many states will continue child support efforts if the child is still attending college — especially if it was so specified in the original child support order. Since different states have different laws, make sure to check the law within your state. You can get more information about the child support laws in your state by asking Family Lawyers on JustAnswer.

If No Child Support is Paid, Can You Refuse Visitation Rights?

Although child support laws vary from state to state, most states treat child support and visitation rights as two separate legal issues. Any court order, regardless of whether it is regarding child support or visitation, must be obeyed, and the breach of a court order is grounds for criminal enforcement. If one parent has not fulfilled child support obligations, the other parent cannot legally withhold visitation rights, and vice versa. Courts see visitation rights as being beneficial to a child, regardless of whether child support payments are made or not. If you find yourself faced with either of these issues, the best course of action would be to file a petition with the court asking for a suspension or withholding of visitation or a moderation of the child support order. Once granted, this petition can protect you against legally being held in contempt of court for violating the original order.

Child Support Enforcement out of the United States

Trying to get child support from an obligated parent outside of the United States can be a daunting task. Once a child support order is granted through the court, if the parent moves to or hides in another country, it is often difficult for the receiving parent to track them down and collect child support payments. Many countries have treaties in place to help in the recovery of child support efforts. It is hard for a parent alone with no legal counsel to collect from a remote location even though your court order will be honored in many countries. Usually where the debtor is in residence will determine what course of action you can take. Child support enforcement has many provisions to help parents not only collect their money but also to impose legal recourse outside of the United States. And of course, you can ask the Experts on JustAnswer for specific help.

Child Support Enforcement in the United States

After a court order for child support is granted, a parent often skips out on obligations. This can leave the receiving parent feeling frustrated, angry and confused. The first and foremost thing to do is to file a petition or motion for contempt of nonpayment of child support. Between child support enforcement and the court order, there are many ways to get the support payments resumed. In many states after a specific amount is in arrears, it becomes a criminal offense, and the parent that is behind on payments could face jail time. Wage garnishments, tax liens, and banking account liens are just a few of the ways child support can be enforced, and these are often very effective.

There are Lawyers specializing in child support who answer questions as Experts on JustAnswer. Many of them have answered these and other questions related to child support laws. When faced with a legal situation regarding child support, visitation, separation or divorce, asking an Expert is wiser than unwittingly taking the law into your own hands. What’s more, getting an answer from Family Lawyers on JustAnswer is both fast and affordable.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Family Lawyers are online now

Family Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more



Doctoral Degree

21822 positive reviews

Attorney and Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

9034 positive reviews
P. Simmons


Doctoral Degree

5350 positive reviews
See all Family Lawyers