Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Military Child Support Allowance

The members of the military may be required to give a part of their pay as child support. The officers as well as their ex-spouses need to know whether they are qualified for this allowance and how it is calculated. Given below are important questions about child support allowance that have been answered by the thousands of Experts.

Is basic allowance for housing considered an income for child support purposes in Pennsylvania?

In most situations, basic allowance for housing may be considered to be an income for child support purposes in Pennsylvania.

Would an individual’s admission into the army be affected if he/she pays child support?

An individual’s admission into the army may not be affected if he/she pays child support. No branch of the military expects an individual to stop providing financial support to their children in order to join the forces. On the contrary, military personnel may get an extra allowance to pay child support.

What can the spouse of a military officer do if he/she refuses to pay child support even after receiving an allowance?

If a military officer collects allowance for child support but does not pay their ex-spouse, it may be considered fraud. The ex-spouse may inform their commanding officer about it. The spouse may also get a court order for child support. The individual may submit this order to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. The individual’s pay may then get garnished.

Would an individual’s hazard pay and bonus be counted as an income for child support?

An individual’s hazard pay and bonus may not always be counted as an income for child support. Whether it is considered an income or not may depend on what is given in the court order.

Can an individual’s Basic Allowance Housing (BAC) be used as an allowance if there is no court order for child support?

An individual may not qualify for BAH if they live in government quarters and does not have a court order for child support. However, if the individual has a court order and is living in military quarters, the individual can often qualify for partial BAH which may be used as an allowance while calculating support. The individual will have to request their commanding officer for the BAH.

Can a service member request to modify child support if their ex-spouse earns more than they do?

A service member may be able to request to modify child support if they are able to prove in court that the ex-spouse’s income has increased since the time the court order came into effect. The officer may have to provide proof of their ex-spouse’s income in court in order to show that the spouse earns more than them.

Can a service member’s commanding officer force him/her to pay child support if he/she refuses to pay?

A commanding officer may not force a service member to pay child support if there is no order from a civilian court. If there is a court order, the spouse may file an enforcement action against the officer. The officer may be held for contempt of court and may be forced to pay the support.

Looking after a child in the event of a divorce can be difficult. This situation can get worse if one of the parents is in the forces and is not available to help in any way. In such situations, it is important for the parent with the custody of the child to know whether his/her ex-spouse qualifies for child support allowance or not. There may be a lot of information about this on the internet and it can get overwhelming for an individual to try and understand all of it. One may receive answers from an Expert if they have any doubts about child support allowance.
Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Military Lawyers are online now

Military Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

P. Simmons

Military Lawyer

Doctoral Degree

14787 positive reviews
Allen M., Esq.


Juris Doctor, Cum Laude

5215 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

1847 positive reviews
See all Military Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.