Ask a lawyer and get answers to your legal questions

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

Better Business Bureau Questions

What is the Better Business Bureau?

The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is an organization that collects and records information about businesses. The information is gathered from consumers who deal directly with the businesses. The BBB collects important information regarding a business's reliability, ethical business practices, as well as alerting the public of fraudulent activity against consumers and other businesses. The Better Business Bureau also acts as a mediator between a consumer and a business to resolve issues that arise. Take a look at some of the more common examples of questions that pertain to the better business bureau.

I purchased a computer in Atlanta Georgia in Feb. 2010. My computer stopped working in Sept. 5, 2011. I have had my hard drive replaced 3 times and the motherboard replaced once. Still the computer is not working properly. My warranty is scheduled to expire 2/22/12 and I still don't have contact with the manufacturer or a working computer. What action can I take to get the manufacturer’s attention to this matter?

In this situation, you may want to consider contacting the Better Business Bureau. The Better business Bureau will mediate with the company on your behalf and there is no charge. This is something that you may want to consider before hiring an attorney. The cost of an attorney far outweighs the cost of a computer. The Better Business Bureau will get the attention of the company and usually, once the BBB is involved, companies try to resolve issues with customers.

Filing a complaint with the better Business Bureau is simple. Go to their website and click on "File a Complaint". The BBB will work with you and try to get the situation resolved. This is a free service and there is no need for attorneys or court appearances.

Court is always an option. If you do decide to take the company to court, small claims court is your best option. There is no need for an attorney which will save money.

Two vacuum salesmen tried to sell me an expensive vacuum. One of the men offended me by saying that if my daughter's health was only worth $500 there was nothing they could do. They were pushy and rude. Is there anything I can do?

The man's actions could be considered a crime if he was threatening your daughters health. However, if the man was just saying this due to the type of vacuum you chose to use, it wouldn't be considered a criminal act. While it is considered poor business ethics, being rude or pushy isn't illegal. You may want to contact the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. Another option would be to contact the company and report the salesmen for their rude and pushy attitudes.

I have sleep apnea and purchased a CPAP machine from a medical supply company. The machine broke and the company left a loaner machine for me to use while my machine was being repaired. The machine broke a second time and the company has not returned any of my calls. Is there something I can do about the company's unprofessional behavior?

If the company failed to repair your machine and didn't offer a loaner machine for your use, they would be in breach of contract, which means you may have a claim against the company. This means if you are forced to rent or purchase a machine from another company, you could add the cost of the second machine to the damages. The first thing to do is file a complaint with the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit and the Better Business Bureau. These agencies may be able to settle this matter in a quick manner. If the agencies are unable to satisfy your claim, you can sue the company for damages which will require you going to court.

I bought a micro sim card to use in my phone. They failed to tell me that the card wasn't powerful enough to operate the phone, making me upgrade my service plan. Is there anything I can do about the unfair and deceptive practices?

You could use the argument that the company was aware that the sim card was not powerful enough to operate the phone in question and that they were using unfair and deceptive practices. If the company was aware of any defect with the service they provided and failed to notify you, you could seek product liability and unfair and deceptive practices for failing to disclose any defects of the sim card. With your damages totaling less than $1000, you could sue the company in small claims court.

Before taking the company to small claims court, you may want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit. These agencies may be able to correct the issue between the company and you without having to go to court. However, if these agencies cannot correct the issues, the next step would be to go to small claims court and sue the company.

When you have doubts or questions about whether or not it would be appropriate to report a certain case to the Better Business Bureau, you should contact and Expert who is familiar with consumer protection law. An Expert can clarify any doubts that you may have and offer solutions to your individual situation.
Please type your question in the field below

8 verified Lawyers are online now

Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more


Counselor at Law

Juris Doctor

24699 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

2132 positive reviews


52478 positive reviews
See all Lawyers