Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Ask a Lawyer, Get an Answer ASAP!

What is the Amount of Claim?

The amount of claim is the amount that is owed to the creditor by the debtor. An individual will have to fill the appropriate forms and put the correct amounts in the sections marked amount of claim, so that the correct amount is discharged during the bankruptcy. When a person has a question regarding what the amount of claim is they should ask an Expert. Read below where Experts answer questions regarding the amount of claim for bankruptcy.

When filling out a Section D on a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy what is the amount of claim?

The amount of claim for Section D on a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is the amount that is owed. For example, if a person has a mortgage the amount of claim would be the amount of the mortgage not the home’s value.

When filing Chapter 7 Bankruptcy is the collection agency listed or just the original amount of claim?

Only list the original amount of claim and the original creditor. If a collection agency is involved they may be listed as on notice only. There is no need to relist the amount.

When a person is filling out a Schedule E for child support, what goes in the amount of claim section, the priority amount section, etc?

The individual should list the amount of their past due child support in the Amount Entitled to Priority along with the amount of claim. Under the heading of 'amount not entitled to priority,' there would be nothing listed for the back child support. If a person does not owe any back child support, then they should have the amount of their child support payment indicated in their budget.

If a person is filling out a Schedule E for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and their ex- spouse owes them back child support, do they put the amount owed to them as the amount of claim?

They do not need to put the amount that the ex-spouse is in arrears as the amount of claim. The Schedule E is for creditors and the amount of claim is the money that is owed to those creditors. The proper place for the amount that is owed to the individual by the ex-spouse is on line 17 of Schedule B.

If a person sells their house in a short sale, do they need to put the difference as the amount of claim on the Schedule F?

If a person sells their house in a short sale, they would need to put the difference in as the amount of claim on the Schedule F. If the mortgage company accepted the amount received in the short sale, it is wise to list at least $100 for the amount of claim as a contingent debt to avoid any future claims. 

Please type your question in the field below

3 verified Bankruptcy Lawyers are online now

Bankruptcy Lawyers on JustAnswer are verified through an extensive 8-step process including screening of licenses, certifications, education and/or employment. Learn more

Terry L.


Doctoral Degree

2670 positive reviews


Doctoral Degree

511 positive reviews


Juris Doctorate

376 positive reviews
See all Bankruptcy Lawyers
JustAnswer in the news:
Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.