Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I am concerned that my federal tax withholding is not enough

I am concerned that my federal tax withholding is not enough for my desired 2020 tax filing to get a return when I file. I've recently had an Employer of Record (EOR) change and the new EOR is withholding $116 less per bi-weekly pay period. I need help in calculating and filling out a new W4.
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: This will be for 2020
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have my latest pay stubs from both EOR's and can give that YTD information if needed.

PLEASE NOTE: Offers of phone calls are site generated as a courtesy to our customers, not a requirement. We can continue chatting here.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The new W-4 form does not provide for allowances.

What is your filing status?

Any dependents?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
It's a bit complicated in that respect... I'm likely going to be legally separated soon, but don't know if I'll be legally divorced--if I am, likely not going to happen until towards the end of 2020. I have two dependents but will claim only one (my ex is claiming the other)

So, indicate single and enter $2000 in Step 3 of the new W-4.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
If I don't enter $2000 in step 3, will that mean they take more taxes from each paycheck?

Correct.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
and the single (vs. married) also increases the taxes held from my pay?

Correct.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
OK, thank you for that. looking forward to my returns for 2020, do you know if there are any stipulations on my filing status if I am legally divorced and the timing of that? Meaning, do I need to be legally divorced for 6+ months of the calendar tax year to claim single/head of household?

We are beyond the scope of your original W-4 question.

With that being said,

If you have a dependent who lives with you, you can claim Head of Household as long as you live separate from you wife for the last 6 months of the year.

You cannot claim single unless you are considered to be legally separated by the state in which you live.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
OK thank you.

You're welcome.