DK_CPA
DK_CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Accountant
103786939

RE:m Reporting property taxes in California on income tax

RE:m Reporting property taxes in California on income tax return. I do not pay my property taxes trough my mortgage payments, therefore I'm trying to figure out how to report what I've payed on my return. For my 2018-19 property tax bill I paid the first installment in 2018 and the second installment in 2019. For the 2019-20 bill I paid the first installment in 2019 and will pay the second installment this year. My assumption is I should report only the payments I made in 2019 (second installment of 2018-19 and first installment of 2019-20), is this correct?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need an answer to this question please

Hi. My name is Dan and I will be happy to assist you.

That is correct. You as a taxpayer are cash basis meaning you take the deduction in the year that you actually pay the expense.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok. Thank you!

You're welcome.

Please remember to give me a five star rating. This rating does not impact your payment terms with this site. Thank you!