emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My wife passed away in 2019. I'm filing a joint return and

My wife passed away in 2019. I'm filing a joint return and expect a refund. But I took her name off of our joint bank account, and now I see that a direct deposit to our account may be rejected because her name is ***** ***** the account anymore. I called to bank to ask about it and they said it might be okay or it might be rejected. Is there anyway I can flag my tax return to ensure the refund is addressed to my name only?
JA: Which tax year is the refund for?
Customer: 2019. My wife died on April 28, 2019.
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: The account number did not change when I took her name off of it; and the bank confirmed that only my name is ***** ***** the account now.

Hi. My name is Eva and I will be happy to help you.

The IRS does not verify the name or names on the account for refund direct deposits. Generally, there's no problem with having the money deposited into an individual account as long as you are e-filing your return.

If the direct deposit gets rejected, however, you will get a paper check. It will be up to the bank to accept it or not. If the bank does not accept it, you can send it back to the IRS with form 1310 and request the check to be issued in your name only.

Unfortunately, there's no way to "flag" your e-filed return. You can file a paper return and include the form 1310 with your original return and get a paper check in your name only.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you