Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am a independent contractor that lives in California but

I am a independent contractor that lives in California but worked in Nevada last year for a few months, while i was working in Nevada I was staying in a hotel. Do i need to claim this money on my California 540 tax form?
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: not off the top of my head

As a resident of California - you should report ALL your worldwide income on California state income tax return.

But as that was a temporary work assignment - the cost of your hotel in Nevada and other travel expenses may be deducted as business expense.

That deduction is claimed on schedule C with your federal income tax return.

Questions?

Have I answered all your questions?
If so, please remember to accept my response and click the stars above to post a positive rating so I get credit.
If you still need any clarification - be sure to ask

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes you did answer my question. Just wasn't sure if I needed to claim the money I made in Nevada since I was staying in a hotel at the time I was working.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will log back in and give you a positive rating