How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 21131
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im filing my state tax return and I live in MA but work in

This answer was rated:

im filing my state tax return and I live in MA but work in RI, and im being asked to enter the total amount of 5.05% tax in which i paid to RI and also the actual tax owed from the other state tax return for the income reported in both states. I have no idea what to put for both these values
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi. My name's Lane.


I hold a Law Degree, a BBA, an MBA (Finance Specialization), and & CFP and CRPS designations as well,

I've been providing tax, corporate law & accounting, and Social Security advice to clients on three continents since 1986.


Bear with me a sec while I explain ... (By the way … Please understand that any phone consult offers come from the web site automatically … Not from me … They WILL stop.)


Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Nice to meet you Lane

States have two different authorities to tax individuals

  1. Being a resident (in which case the resident state taxes ALL worldwide income)
  2. A state's source income (income earned IN their state)


What you'll ned to do is file a non-resident return for RI and a resident return for MA.


Then MA provides what's called an "other state's tax credit" so that you aren't taxed twice on the same dollar of income

Lane and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you