Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Im filing my state tax return and I live in MA but work in

im filing my state tax return and I live in MA but work in RI, and im being asked to enter the total amount of 5.05% tax in which i paid to RI and also the actual tax owed from the other state tax return for the income reported in both states. I have no idea what to put for both these values
JA: Which tax year are you filing for?
Customer: 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

I hold a Law Degree, a BBA, an MBA (Finance Specialization), and & CFP and CRPS designations as well,

I've been providing tax, corporate law & accounting, and Social Security advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

​...

Bear with me a sec while I explain ... (By the way … Please understand that any phone consult offers come from the web site automatically … Not from me … They WILL stop.)

...

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Nice to meet you Lane

States have two different authorities to tax individuals

1. Being a resident (in which case the resident state taxes ALL worldwide income)
  2. A state's source income (income earned IN their state)

...

What you'll ned to do is file a non-resident return for RI and a resident return for MA.

...

Then MA provides what's called an "other state's tax credit" so that you aren't taxed twice on the same dollar of income