Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I did use turbo tax if I download the form in turbo tax will

I did use turbo tax if I download the form in turbo tax will it make the changes for me or do I have to re do her 1040 federal and see what changes come up from making it someone can claim me, I asked this question last night another person told me I had to do another 1040 federal to see what changes there are when we select someone can claim you as a dependent

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

{C}· I hold a Law Degree, a BBA, an MBA (Finance Specialization), and & CFP and CRPS designations as well,

{C}· I've been providing tax, corporate law & accounting, and Social Security advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

​...

Bear with me a sec while I explain ... (By the way … Please understand that any phone consult offers come from the web site automatically … Not from me … They WILL stop.)

...

I looked at the other question to see exactly what you're trying to do.

...

What the other individual was doing was trying to explain how one does a 1040X.

...

The 1040X, as you can see, isn't a complete new return. It's a short two page form that has three columns for reporting certain sub-totals and totals (results) from a tax return and re-doing your return.

...

Column A is where you enter the results of the original return, Column C is where you enter the results of having re-worked the entire return (in your case it's the new results that come from the standard deduction only being 1100 because you checked the " Someone can claim you as a dependent" box) ... which changes all of the sub-totals and totals down the return from the standard deduction line onward.

...

The column B in the middle is just where you do the math to show how each number changed (from column A to column C).

...

SO if you've already filed. Yes, you'll just go into to your return, check that box, (which will, again, change all the numbers from the standard deduction in on line 9 down the return) and then transfer the old and new numbers into the columns A and C of the 1040X.

...

Various software programs hande this differently. Some will do a lot of the work for you becasue it knows the numbers in the originally filed return.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
so once my daughter gets her refund, I will be able to go into turbo tax and bring up her file and make this change even though we file her return? Turbotax will do this for me if I amend 1040x, or do I have to physical type it in myself

Let me check. I believe Turbotax does this for you ... Give me ONE sec.

Yes, If you originally filed your return with TurboTax, we can help streamline the steps outlined above. If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used the CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.”

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I was able to go onto my daughters turbo tax and pull it up, I made the change that we can declare her as an independent, her refund changed that it shows she owes back 300.00, will this show on the 1040x form, also turbo tax says this form has to be mailed in, it can not go electronic which is fine, I am going to do whatever I can today on turbo tax to get it ready to go. The other question i have when can I mail the 1040x form in, when she gets her refund?

Glad it worked.

...

Yes, 1040X has t be mailed.

...

And (don't shoot the messenger here, but the refunds from a 1040X DO take longer)

...

IRS projects 16 weeks on a refund from an amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/amended-returns-form-1040x

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
My daughter right now is waiting on her refund from the federal, I cant do anything with the 1040x until her federal goes through, I am assuming if she has to pay back some of her refund it will show on the 1040x, I cant file my tax return until her amended goes through is that correct? How will I know when the amended goes through

Oh I see what you're asking.

...

Yse any additional refund or amount owed is the result of a 1040X. It would be very rare that one of two things doesn't happen with a 1040X (more is owed or return is increased.)

...

And on checking on it see this from IRS:

...

"You can check the status of your Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return using the Where's My Amended Return? online tool or by calling the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return."

...

(https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/amended-returns-form-1040x/amended-returns-form-1040x-3)

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
So once my daughters amended goes through thats when I can file my return.

That's exactly right.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Im sorry if I keep asking questions over and over again, I want to make sure I do this right, I never had to amend any of my taxes in all my years of doing it, thank you again for all your help

That's ok. I would just ask tat if you have a truly DIFFERENT question that you ask as a different question. (We're only compensated once per question)

...

But this is really all about the same issue.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
When I do send my return can I e-file it or do I have to print it out and mail it? Can I submit my state taxes now or do I have to wait for all this to be done

If your return is not an AMENDED return, no, it does not need to be printed and mailed. You can efile.

...

I would not submit state taxes until you submit your federal taxes. They must reconcile.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
When I send my daughters amended return do I have to send all the paper work with it, I am just marking on her return that someone else can claim her on their tax return.

Well, when you mark that, the return changes .. again, everything from the taxable income forward will not be different.

...

You'll need to re-work the return, enter those changed numbers on the 1040X, and send that re-worked return in with the 1040X

...

(No need to send in the original return, THAT they already have)

Customer: replied 13 hours ago.
I asked this question to another person from this website I just want to make sure its right. My daughter was in school more than 1/2 a year got a full time job in August 2019, if she made more than 4000 can I still claim her? She turned 24 on Dec 12, 2019. He said I can claim her, I also got a 1098T for her
Customer: replied 10 hours ago.
I found out I cant claim my daughter since she turned 24 in the year 2019, which is ok, I know how the 1095-A form that my daughter was a part of it and I need help getting the premium percentage, slcsp percentage and advanced payment of ptc percentage, since I cant claim my daughter it shows I owe alot when I put this form in, can you help me with this form

Going forward I hope you'll understand if I ask that you ask new questions AS new questions, on a separate question thread.

...

Although you can ask multiple questions here, we expert users are only compensated once per question, and only after you rate positively, by using the stars at the top of the page.

(You may have to scroll – or swipe left or right if you’re on a device such as a phone or tablet)

...

Every time I come back to the same question thread to answer DIFFERENT questions, it lowers my compensation per time/effort.

...

Again, I hope you'll understand.