Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

When I do my amended return, is it the 1040-x form? If it is

when I do my amended return, is it the 1040-x form? If it is I dont see on the form standard deduction someone can claim you as a dependent

Hello, I am reviewing your question and will research before composing the response. Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP, Former IRS Agent

Dear Customer,

Are you preparing your daughter's Form 1040X?

Are you using Turbo Tax?

Below is the TT instruction on amended tax return.

"If it is I dont see on the form standard deduction someone can claim you as a dependent"

Follow the instruction to change the choice of someone can claim you as dependent. The net result difference should show up as the change amount of standard deduction amount. That is line 2 of Form 1040X. Write the change in the explanation section (Part III.) as To change standard deduction to Someone can claim you as dependent.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-correct-federal-tax-returns/L67t0F7il

If this procedure is not clear, call TT for help by sending them a text. They will call you back.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

When you paper file your tax return, you may need to attach a statement to say that your daughter has filed amended tax return to make this choice of someone can claim you as dependent. Do not send in her amended tax return copy. If the IRS reject your filing again at that time, you can respond further to clear up the point.

Regards,

Fiona