Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  20+ years as a Certified Public Accountant, including 19 years working in public accounting firms with extensive tax, audit, write-up and consulting experience.
99839240

Can i take standard deduction plus deduction of 10,000 for

Customer Question

can i take standard deduction plus deduction of 10,000 for property taxes paid in 2019 to DC state government. my wife and i are both senior citizens retired
JA: Which tax year is the deduction for?
Customer: 2019
JA: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?
Customer: my state income taxes and property taxes for 2019 amount to over 21,000. therefore, standard deduction gives me and my wife filing jointly 26,600 as senior citizens. wondering if upto 10,000 propert taxes are eligible for deduction as well
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Fred Rook replied 21 days ago.

Hello, my name is Fred and I can assist you. Unfortunately you can’t do that. You get the higher of your standard deductions or your itemized deductions. Property/state taxes are part of your itemized deductions capped at $10,000, and unless you have other itemized deductions that total over your standard deductions, you will be taking the standard deduction. Please let me know if you have any follow up on this point. Thanks!

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok. thanks. that is clear
Expert:  Fred Rook replied 20 days ago.

My pleasure! When you get a moment, please rate my service. Thanks and have a great day!!