Tax

I'm in the phases of getting two different startups going…

Hello, I'm in the...

Hello, I'm in the phases of getting two different startups going this year (one with partners and one with just me and my wife) and am wondering what the best business type to register as would be beneficial for tax purposes. I'm not making any revenue at the moment, but want to be able to hire... Read full answer

Hello, I'm in the phases of getting two different startups going this year (one with partners and one with just me and my wife) and am wondering what the best business type to register as would be beneficial for tax purposes. I'm not making any revenue at the moment, but want to be able to hire freelancers to help me develop my product. What's the best way to set this up? And what are the rates to talk to a professional on Just answer?

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

I have heard from other entrepreneurs that it's worthwhile to make an LLC that would serve as a shell company to all your other businesses. They've also said I can use the cost of professional development as a deduction some how that way. I just have a lot of question regarding registering a business.

2/21/2019
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

When you just starting your business - I do not think that you need a complicated structure - just to avoid overhead.

Most likely - you do not even need an LLC as a freelancer.

When your business will take off - then you may start thinking about separate business entities and more complex business structure.

But for tax purposes = that will not make any difference.

.

Regarding deducting the cost of professional development ...

See this publication - page 59 - Business Deduction for Work-Related Education

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Qualifying Work-Related Education is education that meets at least one of the following two tests.

• The education is required by your employer or the law to keep your present salary, status, or job. The required education must serve a bona fide business purpose of your employer.

• The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work.

However, even if the education meets one or both of the above tests, it isn't qualifying work-related education if it:

• Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements of your present trade or business, or

• Is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business.

.

Let me know if that helps.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Thank you for all the help. Just to clarify and make sure it still pertains, I'm working on two different SaaS companies, not freelance so much. I have to register as a business to receive revenue correct? From what I've researched, it seems like any initial revenue I make this year will get taxed at my normal rate + the self-employment rate. Is there anyway to be able to keep the small amount of startup income to continue to fuel my business in the first year? Perhaps by deducting expenses or something? And does that work as a sole-proprietorship instead of some other format? Are there any downsides to not registering as a different business type upfront?

I have to register as a business to receive revenue correct?

There is no such requirement. You may but you are not required.

From what I've researched, it seems like any initial revenue I make this year will get taxed at my normal rate + the self-employment rate.

That is not exactly correct ... only net business income is taxed that is gross business income minus qualified deductions. That net business income is subject to self-employment tax 15.3% and is added to your other income for income tax purposes.

Is there anyway to be able to keep the small amount of startup income to continue to fuel my business in the first year?

You may keep ALL your income after paying tax liability - not just the small amount...

Perhaps by deducting expenses or something? And does that work as a sole-proprietorship instead of some other format? Are there any downsides to not registering as a different business type upfront?

For deducting business expenses if doesn't matter what type of business entity you have.

Same rules are applied - just different reporting.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
For a two member partnership, I previously asked you some
For a two member partnership, I previously asked you some questions and now have two more.If the partners received some coaching services to help them in their business operation, can these be profess… read more
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Sr Financial & Tax Consultant,
I know I've been asking a lot of these. In registering an
I know I've been asking a lot of these. In registering an llc, I'm asked "What is the date you will start or did start doing business?" I'm to provide a month, day, and year.I've had a landing page on… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
I have a start up that I've been working on for a while and
I have a start up that I've been working on for a while and have finally hit the point where I need to hire a freelancer to do some work and accumulate some other expenses. I'm not sure how to navigat… read more
Carter McBride
Carter McBride
LLM
Stop searching for answers—
I have a question for a business tax professional. I am
Hello, I have a question for a business tax professional.I am starting a new business that will be building a software application. For now and the next several months, I will be on the only owner and… read more
taxmanrog
taxmanrog
I JUST REGISTERED MY BUSINESS WITH THE STATE AND HAVE
i JUST REGISTERED MY BUSINESS WITH THE STATE AND HAVE RECENTLY GOT A TAX ID # i DO NOT ANTICIPATE MAKING ANY PROFIT IN THIS YEAR OF BUSINESS WOULD I STILL BE ABLE TO WRITE OFF START UP CIST SUCH AS TR… read more
Barbara
Barbara
Enrolled Agent, Paralegal,
My life partner and I own a business together, but it's all
Hi there, my life partner and I own a business together, but it's all in my name (sole proprietor). We're wondering what's the best thing to do legally and tax-wise: bring him on as a partner (and res… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
In January 2014, myself and two friends started a C Corp app
In January 2014, myself and two friends started a C Corp for an app that we decided to develop. The app is still in development and our company has received ZERO income from the day of inception. The … read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
During 2013 partner A (in a software development business)
During 2013 partner A (in a software development business) spent $10,000 on air travel and ground travel related to obtaining valuable business contacts and vendors which he paid out of his personal b… read more
Lane
Lane
JD, MBA, CFP, CRPS,
I received an audit from IRS disallowing travel expenses because
I received an audit from IRS disallowing travel expenses because "the income wasn't high enough". The story is that I went from being a consultant with fairly large 1099's to developing my own product… read more
PDtax
PDtax
Owner,
If one is an individual entrepreneur in South Africa, which
If one is an individual entrepreneur in South Africa, which business formation would be more beneficial with regards ***** ***** breaks? 1. A sole proprietorship or 2. registering as a small business?… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
I just moved to the USA with my American husband. He started
I just moved to the USA with my American husband. He started a job and needs to file taxes. I am starting my own software business but have also been offered a freelance consulting job so will start g… read more
Certified Public Accountant (CPA),
My friend (USA permanent resident) is considering opening a
My friend (USA permanent resident) is considering opening a LLC. He will initially open LLC alone. After 1 or 2 year, he may have 1 partner in the business. Does he need to register LLC with specific … read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
Stop searching for answers—
I have a business that was started in October of 2010. It is
I have a business that was started in October of 2010. It is a service business where we provide clerical support and customer service for attorneys. In 2011 Gross sales where $280k. Projections for 2… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
For my Web Development company (an LLC), I use outsourcing
For my Web Development company (an LLC), I use outsourcing agencies and services such as Odesk.com. It goes like this: I select a freelancer on Odesk for a job, hire them, and they do the work. I pay … read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
I am trying to determine how to should handle the 2010 1120S
I am trying to determine how to should handle the 2010 1120S Corp Tax Return with the following issue: A 2009 1120S return was filed listing $5000 in start up/organizational costs and amortizaton comm… read more
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Sr Financial & Tax Consultant,
Im the 1st US hire of a small European startup. Were not
I'm the 1st US hire of a small European startup. We're not quite sure how to pay me. Since it's a startup, they don't have an HR dept. or major payroll company. All other employees (but me) are in the… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent
can business pre-startup cost encountered in 2008 be claimed by an LLC formed in 2009
I spent $42K in 2008 for development of a consumer product and now I made a decision to make and market the product. I will not have any operations until Feb 2009. I have not created an LLC yet. The q… read more
jgordosea
jgordosea
Enrolled Agent,
I have a business selling health products. I am curently ...
I have a business selling health products. I am curently the "guinea pig" for my business. I'm evaluating about 3000 worth of vitamin/ herb supplements per year by taking the supplements myself to see… read more
Lev
Lev
Tax Advisor,
Bachelor's Degree Equivalent