Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My married daughter/husband live with me after losing

My married daughter/husband live...

My married daughter/husband live with me after losing everything. They received tax lien letter. Is their household 2 or does it include me. I have nothing to do with their situation. I am just keeping them from living under a bridge.

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

They don't seem to qualify for Offer in Compromise for some odd reason. They owe $14K

6/25/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your situation.
First of all - you personally will NOT be responsible for your daughter's and her husband's tax debt.

Even if you claim them as your dependents - you still will NOT be responsible for their debt.

Second - please be aware that levies are different from liens...

A levy is a legal seizure of your property to satisfy a tax debt.

A lien is a legal claim against your property to secure payment of your tax debt, while a levy actually takes the property to satisfy the tax debt.

The IRS files a public document, the Notice of Federal Tax Lien, to alert creditors that the government has a legal right to the property.

Credit reporting agencies may find the Notice of Federal Tax Lien and include it in their credit report.

They may want to apply and establish an Installment agreement with the IRS.

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I knew all the above answers. Some of the forms want the number of people in the "household"
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks. Bye

For tax collection purposes - you are NOT included into their household unless you are listed as their dependent.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor