Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am not US resident but have stocks in the US. I also earn…

I am not US...

I am not US resident but have stocks in the US. I also earn dividends from these stocks. All tax witholding and 1042 reporting done by E*trade. All is fine for my 2014 and 2016 tax refunds BUT i was told by IRS that it didn't receive my withholding tax for 2015 and asked that I pay 20+K tax to them. This is strange as I have receved from E*trade the 1042 document and according to E*trade, they have made the payment. So now I am stuck. IRS sent me transcript saying they received NOTHING from me for 2015 and E*trade kept telling me they have made the payment and that the 1042 is proof of that. I'm stuck. What can I do?

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is the refund for?

2q015 2015

6/25/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Is there an amount on Line 7a of the 1042-S?

Can E*trade provide you with any documentation that it deposited the taxes with the IRS?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is an amount on Line 7a of the 1042S.
Etrade says the 1042S IS the only documentation they have

Are you speaking to a manager or supervisor at E*trade?

E*trade has to have a record somewhere of making the payment to the IRS.

Form 1042-S is an information document. What you want/need is the proof that the payment was made.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have spoken with a few people in Etrade already. They kept insisting the only record they have is the 1042S form.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If E*trade fails to produce the record of payment, what can I do? Is there any help for consumer like me?

The 1042-S form is an information reporting document.

E*trade must have some kind of record of when/how the amount was paid to the IRS. I would think E*trade would be more helpful in this regard.

Can you upload a copy of the IRS notice?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here it is

Give me a few moments to review it.

I only received page 2, but it appears that the IRS is notifying you that it did not receive YOUR TAX RETURN for 2015.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I filed my tax returns. It is 1042NR right?

The 1040NR is what you would file.

Did you mail it to the IRS? The notice is saying they did not receive it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I confirmed they received my 2015 tax return filings. But ... IRS not very consistent with their explanations... or I cannot understand what they said
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is another letter

It appears there is conflicting information.

My best advice would be to call the IRS at the number on the notice you received from September, 2017 to get confirmation that your 2015 tax return was received and the issue is with the withholding reported on Form 1042-S by E*trade. That notice is telling you the amount withheld by E*trade does not match the amount the IRS received. The IRS is also advising that you contact the withholding agent, which is E*trade, to resolve the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I'd try. Thanks!

Let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Barbara, I have connected with E*trade tax department folks. They are looking into the issue again and calling me back on 4th July. I will let you know once I know the outcome. Thank you for your kind help.

Thank you for letting me know. Keep me posted.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.