Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Building maintenance and janitorial service are subject to…

Building maintenance and janitorial service...
Building maintenance and janitorial service are subject to sales tax in Ohio if annual sales of this service equal or exceed $5,000.
Is the residential home cleaning service also subject to sales tax in Ohio?
6/24/2018
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome. I am reviewing your question and will respond soon. Fiona Chen, CPA, MPA, Ph.D., ABV, CFF, CITP, IMTA, Former IRS Revenue Agent

Dear Customer,

"Is the residential home cleaning service also subject to sales tax in Ohio? "

The answer is yes according to the State's definition and law quoted in the official website link and quotation enclosed below for your further information.

https://www.tax.ohio.gov/sales_and_use/information_releases/st200204.aspx

"1. What kinds of activities are considered a "building maintenance and janitorial service? ...

In general, this service includes washing, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, and waxing in offices, houses, and other buildings. Some examples are:

...

housekeeping (maid) service."

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
great, one more question. do we have to register "Initial Articles of Incorporation" or "state of Ohio certificate" so that we start business in Ohio?

Dear Customer,

It depends on how "we" are. If you are in the business of some sort and would like to operate in another state, Ohio or whichever state in the U.S., you need to register your business with the state.

Website link and quotation are enclosed for your reference.

https://www.sos.state.oh.us/businesses/information-on-starting-and-maintaining-a-business/frequently-asked-questions/#gref

"Who is required to register with the Ohio Secretary of State?

Any business entity, domestic or foreign, planning to transact business within Ohio, using a name other than their own personal name, must register with this office. Business entities must file the appropriate formation documents to register their business. Sole proprietorships and general partnerships are not required to register the business entity; however, they may need to register a trade name or report the use of a fictitious name if they are doing business in a name not their own. (For example, if you are doing business under your personal name, i.e. Bob Smith, then you do not need to register with our office, but if you are doing business under the name “Bob Smith’s Automotive Shop,” then the name must be registered with our office)."

Regards,

Fiona

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. Actually I checked the web site already. Dose "Initial Articles of Incorporation" mean "state of Ohio certificate" ?

Dear Customer,

This website has the initial articles of incorporation. It is used to register the business with the State.

https://www.sos.state.oh.us/globalassets/business/forms/532a.pdf

When you say that state of Ohio certification, do mean that it is the Good Standing Certificate or any of the certificate in the form to apply in the website link below? They are usually applied after we the corporation and/or the business registered with the state already. It would be to prove that our company is still in good standing with the State.

https://www.sos.state.oh.us/globalassets/business/forms/500.pdf

Regards,

Fiona

Dr. Fiona Chen
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you