Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am working on H1b Visa, am i supposed to fill "Employee's…

I am working on...

I am working on H1b Visa, am i supposed to fill "Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate (Long Form) NC-4
" tax form?

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year are you filing for?

Current year

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

I'll need filling this form

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a couple of minutes while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

By the way ...

(If the site makes one of those automated phone call offers, that DID NOT COME FROM ME. It’s an automatic offer that the site throws up there, I’d be glad to discuss this over the phone but the site charges more for that. Only accept if you’d like a call.)

Yes, this is just the North Carolina Version of the Federal w-4 form.

...

If you are in the country on your H1B for more than 183 days (or if you simply elect to be taxed as a resident) you will be taxed just as US citizen on your income ... both by the Federal Government (IRS) and your state (NC Dept of revenue).

...

These forms are simply how you instruct your employer to withhold taxes from our pay so that you don't have to pay an underpayment penalty in April when it comes time to pay taxes (IRS' and the states' not so subtle reminder that we have a pay as you go system here).

...

IN most cases you simply answer the questions literally, and the form lead to a number of allowances (amount of withholding) that should have you close to break-even at tax time.

Taking you step by step through every line on this form is beyond the scope of this Q&A venue, but understand that placing a zero on the part of the form that you give to your employer - bottom part of the first page - will have the most tax withheld (for MOST, so much that it will generate a refund at tax time).

As you add more allowances, less tax is prepaid to the government.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i add no allowances at all, i am good , and then i can file a refund in the year end?

That's right ... enter zero for the most withholding and you'll have [aid in more than what you actually owe by the end of he year

Note what it says on line one:

...

"Total number of allowances you are claiming (Enter zero (0), or the number of allowances from Page 2, line 16 of the NC-4 Allowance Worksheet)"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how should i respond to this, its a Yes or No "Will your spouse receive combined wages and taxable pensions of less than $6,250 or only retirement benefits not subject to N.C. income tax?
" My spouse will come to USA in october 2018 on H4 Visa

Now you're going down through the worksheet ... which is just used (along with the next 5 pages) to estimate a number for line 1.

...

This is not what's actually turned in to the employer ... ONLY the bottom portion of the first page is separated and turned in.

...

The rest is an attempt to estimate ... which you may not have enough information to complete at this point anyway

Note what both the instructions say AND what it says at the top of page 3:

...

"Important: If you cannot reasonably estimate the amount to enter in the schedules below, you should enter ZERO (0) on line 1, NC-4."

...

Please let me know if you have any questions.

If not, your positive rating, using those stars on your screen, would be appreciated.

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the time here.

Thank you!

Lane

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My spouse wont be earning, and won't have any income, i am having hard time understanding the below question. There is no suitable option---
If filing as married filing jointly, enter the appropriate number from either (a), (b), (c), or (d) below:
Your spouse expects to have zero wages and expects to receive retirement benefits that will all be nontaxable for N.C. purposes, enter 3. (Nontaxable retirement benefits include: Bailey, Social Security, and Railroad retirement)
Your spouse expects to have combined wages and taxable pensions of more than $1, but less than $3,750, enter 2.
Your spouse expects to have combined wages and taxable pensions of more than $3,750 but less than $6,250, enter 1.
Your spouse expects to have combined wages and taxable pensions of more than $6,250, enter 0

...

Note what both the instructions say AND what it says at the top of page 3:..."Important: If you cannot reasonably estimate the amount to enter in the schedules below, you should enter ZERO (0) on line 1, NC-4."

AGAIN, forget the worksheet ... put a zero on the form tear off the little partial page form as indicated by the dotted lines and turn it in.

...

There is NO requirement to go through the worksheets .. and again, you don't have the data to do it yet

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
got it great , thank you so much.. it was helpful.

Your positive rating (using the stars) would be thanks enough.

...

That's the only way I'll be compensated

...

Thank you.

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS