Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son who has primary custody of his child has been living…

Customer Question
My son who has...

My son who has primary custody of his child has been living with me the past 1 1/2 years. He was working fulltime until March 2018 when he was arrested. He will be in prision for 1 1/2 years. He has always claimed his son on his tax return as his mother has only every other weekend visitation and 1 month in the summer. Since I am now supporting my Grandchild will I be able to claim him on my taxes? I haven't worked at all in 2018 as I am retired. We live in Iowa.

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year are you filing for?

I am referring to the this current year, 2018.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
6/23/2018
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 month ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you can but if you do not have any earned income you may not get any benefit claiming him. Do you have any retirement income? Are you required to file a tax return?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have social security and IPERS, Iowa Public Employee Retirement System.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm required to file a tax return and "No" I don't want a phone call.

The new tax law (for 2018 - 2025) eliminated deduction for exemptions but increased standard deduction to 24K (for a couple, 12K for an individual, 18K for head of household). If, after your deductions you still have taxable income you can use child tax credit (if the child is 17 or younger) to offset or eliminate your tax liability.

You can ignore the phone call request when it pops up on your screen if you prefer to chat with me online. The request is generated by the website as additional service option for additional $52, not by me.