Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live 4+ hours drive from San Francisco and will need to…

I live 4+ hours...

I live 4+ hours drive from San Francisco and will need to stay in/near San Francisco every other week for a few months because the head office of my employer is there.Can I write off the expense of lodging (airbnb) on my taxes?I read through form 2106 and if looks like I can but I wanted someone's advice.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I'm employed full-time by my employer and I expect the cost of lodging to exceed 2% of my gross income.

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a couple of minutes while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

You're a LITTLE close to the line here, but you're likely ok (depending non what" a few months" means.)

...

What this turns on is you "tax home."

...

let me show you an example for an (atypically) readable IRS tax topic on business travel... be right back

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. I thought maybe the changes to the 2018 Tax Deductions might have removed deductions for unreimbursed employee expenses.

From here: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511

...

"Generally, your tax home is the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home"

...

"For example, you live with your family in Chicago but work in Milwaukee where you stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You return to Chicago every weekend. You may not deduct any of your travel, meals or lodging in Milwaukee because that's your tax home. Your travel on weekends to your family home in Chicago isn't for your work, so these expenses are also not deductible. If you regularly work in more than one place, your tax home is the general area where your main place of business or work is located."

...

"In determining your main place of business, take into account the length of time you normally need to spend at each location for business purposes, the degree of business activity in each area, and the relative significance of the financial return from each area. However, the most important consideration is the length of time you spend at each location."

OHHH ... so sorry, made the assumption you were a contractor ... yep, so sorry ...

...

Can't believe an employer is expecting that these days (OR not reimbursing it)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cannot write lodging off if I stay in the work home of my employer?

no, sorry

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay. Thanks for the help. I lay a guilt trip on my employer and see if that helps ;) Have a good weekend.

Miscellaneous deductions which exceed 2% of your AGI will be eliminated for the tax years 2018 through 2025. This includes deductions for unreimbursed employee expenses and tax preparation expenses. ... These expenses also includeunreimbursed travel and mileage, as well as the home office deduction

You too, sorry to be the messenger ... yep OR set up a contractor relationship.

...

now you deduct all expenses INCLUDing your home office expenses and other business expenses ... (not to mention the new pass-through deduction)

You're very welcome

..

Your positive rating, using those stars on your screen, would be appreciated.

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the time here.

Thank you!

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Thanks much!