Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I pay for a house and put my brother's name only on the…

Customer Question
If I pay for...

If I pay for a house and put my brother's name only on the title, does he pay gift tax on it? Also does he have to pay income tax on it.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That was it in a nutshell.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

We don't know whether it's best to put it in my name or his.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 24 days ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. My response will be provided to you in the next thread.

-------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Q1: If I pay for a house and put my brother's name only on the title, does he pay gift tax on it?

A1: No, he does not have to pay gift tax, nor do you. Adding his name to the title makes him a legal and equitable owner of the property. Now, if you were to gift him equity in the property, then you would need to complete a Form 709 (Gift Tax Return).

-------------------------

Q2: Also, does he have to pay tax on it?

A2: No, he does not have to pay tax on the property. He can share in paying property taxes if that is what he two of you agree upon.

-----------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Regarding the gift of equity, if the amount was more than $15,000, the form 709 would have to be completed. Otherwise, nothing would need to be done and no gift taxes paid be you or him.