Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My grand kids and daughter live with me and I claimed them…

Customer Question
My grand kids and...

My grand kids and daughter live with me and I claimed them since my daughter has no income I found out that thier father claimed them also. He has them on Wednesday’s and every other weekend.

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

No, but they live with me over the 50 % of time

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

My daughter has been out of work for two yrs trying for disability

Accountant's Assistant: Are there other sources of income (wages, interest, dividends, etc.)?

For her no, she only get child support

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Well, to start, one of the claims for the dependents is going to be denied because a dependent can only be claimed on one tax return. Did you mail a paper tax return in?

-------------------------------------

Note that telephone calls and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Mine was electronic
I’m sorry, silly me thought you would just verify the law. I’ll call the IRS

The IRS rules is that if a person meets the qualifications to claim a dependent, they can do so. However, when you have two people trying to claim the same dependents, it gets a little trickier. I will provide you with ALL of the qualifications that have to be met in order to claim a qualifying child in the next thread.

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests: š Relationship – the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.

š Residence – has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

š Age – must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

š Support – did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

If a child is claimed as a qualifying child by two or more taxpayers in a given year, the child will be the qualifying child of:

š the parent;

š if more than one taxpayer is the child’s parent, the one with whom the child lived for the longest time during the year, or, if the time was equal, the parent with the highest AGI;

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/fs-05-07.pdf

--------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.