Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was told by H&R Block that me and my husbands income was…

Customer Question
I was told by...

I was told by H&R Block that me and my husbands income was to low and we didnt have to file taxes. However we withdrew $10000.00 from 401k plan and she said even with the $10K our income was still low enough and the 10K didn't need to be files. Is she correct

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is this for?

2016

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

She may have been. Each year has their own money amount that applies to whether or not you must file a tax return.

In 2016 Married Filing Jointly if Both spouses are under 65 then the threshold was $20,700

One spouse 65 or older $21,950

Both spouses 65 or older $23,200

It could be possible that even with the $10,000 you were not required to file.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.