Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My uncle immigrated to the US 5 years ago and has been

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi, my uncle...
Second opinion] Hi, my uncle immigrated to the US 5 years ago and has been living with his son. He has never worked and made no income, his son takes care of him. He never filed taxes because he thought he did not need to since he had no income to declare. His son claims him as a dependent on his own taxes. His son is on a payment plan with the IRS for taxes.He currently is about to file his citizenship and two of the questions on the form ask "have you EVER not filed a federal, state or local tax return" and " do you owe any overdue Federal, State or local taxes". I would like to get clarification on if you are required to file taxes if you did not make any income. Does he answer "no" to both questions? Secondly, if you are claimed as a dependent and the person filing owes taxes, are you considered to owe taxes as well?
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Tax
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney replied 23 days ago
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney

Just because you are claimed as a dependent does not mean he owes taxes. He does not owe taxes and he is not required to file. I would put a note that he is not required to file on the document.