Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Are Indiana property taxes subject to sales tax for

Customer Question
Are Indiana property taxes...

Are Indiana property taxes subject to sales tax for businesses?

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

No I haven't. We have various lessors and some of them charge us sales tax on the property taxes and some don't. I haven't been abl eto find anything on line that specifically addresses this.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Tax
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 19 days ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a couple of minutes while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

(If the site makes one of those automated phone call offers, that DID NOT COME FROM ME. It’s an automatic offer that the site throws up there, I’d be glad to discuss this over the phone but the site charges more for that. Only accept if you’d like a call.)

See this from Indiana Sales Tax Information Bulletin #28L:

...

Taxability of a lease is NOT based upon residency of the lessee (customer). The determination is based upon the property state of primary property location, per terms of the lease agreement.

...

A lease is subject to Indiana sales tax if the property is located within Indiana. A lease where the property is to be primarily located in another state will be subject to that state’s sales/use tax and will not be subject to the Indiana sales tax. The lessor shall collect and remit the appropriate sales tax to the appropriate taxing jurisdiction.

Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 12 days ago

Hi, ... I’m just checking back in to see how things are going. ... Did my answer help?