Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Im trying to reconstruct my tax receipts. for filing

Customer Question
Im trying to reconstruct...

Im trying to reconstruct my tax receipts. for filing purposes. Ive had a string of cancer sicknesses and financial hassles over the last 4 years. ill get my records to my accountants by Saturday. Will reconstruction be a problem?

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?

Yees, shes good but hard to get ahold of. im mailing my stuff to her certified mail tomorrow

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

No, im not making excuses, i just want to know what to expect

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
I'mCustomer I'll assist.Reconstruction for missing receipts is an art. And the more detail you can provide, both in background and specifics, the better.Your back story helps with things like your history of charitable giving, the trips you took in your car for medical or business purposes, etc. What records you have will be made to support your story.Actual expense items can be identified by bank statements, pictures of the item, warranty registration, or even your affidavit that you swear under penalty of perjury that you bought x, y and z are all actual expense support.This is an art, so expect your pro to build your supported story with both prospectives. Also, expect to give the tax authorities some tax dollars. This is now a negotiation, so there will be some give and take involved. You will be allowed some, maybe most, of your expenses. A recreated mileage log is often not accepted, for example, without billing that supports meetings or doctor appointments.I hope that helps. Positive feedback is appreciated. Five stars is best. I'mCustomer