Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a client who sold an apartment building. Using a

Customer Question
I have a client...

I have a client who sold an apartment building. Using a qualified intermediary, the proceeds were used to pay off the mortgage and invested is a DST (Deleware Statuary Trust). There was also debt acquired in the exchange. This is supposed to be a 1031 exchange but I cannot seem to figure out how to correctly book the transaction. GAAP financials are not being issued so I do not need to be concerned with a book to tax difference.

Accountant's Assistant: When was the property or asset sold?

In September 2017 New asset acquired in October 2017

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

I can provide figures. Part of the sale also transferred security deposits and partial rent collected for September. My main concern is recording the basis of the new asset correctly.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Tax
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I have attached and excel file that shows what I have so far.
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney replied 21 days ago
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney

You would probably want to debit the new asset (investment in DST) and credit the building to get it off your books.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is that your entire answer?

Maybe another expert can help. I will opt out.

Here is some info to help you:

https://www.accountantforums.com/threads/commercial-rental-real-estate-1031-exchange.7525/