Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just got divorced this year. My ex-wife is taking 428.30 a…

Customer Question
I just got divorced...

I just got divorced this year. My ex-wife is taking 428.30 a week out of my check a week after taxes. Can I raise my dependents to off set the taxes I'm paying, and how much?

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year is this for?

2018

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

Will The amount of money a month is 1,856.00. Also I make around 72,000.00 a year.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
5/30/2018
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Claiming another allowance will not reduce your taxes. It will increase your paycheck but reduce you refund (or increase what you owe). Your tax liability will be calculated on your tax return, withholding from your paycheck are just estimated payments.

Why is your ex-wife taking money from your paycheck? Alimony? Child support? Back taxes?

Alimony or maintance

Ok. As long as your divorce decree clearly states that this payment is alimony (not child support) you will be able to claim a deduction for it. In that case you can claim additional allowance. But before you make any changes to your W4, sit down with your tax professional (or use a online withholding calculator) to determine how the new tax law will affect you. You will not be filing a joint return anymore and filing single may actually increase your taxes.

Do you have dependents living with you?

No

Then this would be a good time to run a projection on your taxes. Do you do your taxes yourself or have a tax professional who does it for you?

Liberty taxes

They may not have a projection software but you can always check. They have a very simple online estimator that could also be helpful.

https://www.libertytax.com/tax-estimator/

What other source of income do you have?

None

Then you should be able to get pretty close projection using an online tax projection application. Compare your projected tax liability to your year to date withholding and you should get a good idea if you can claim additional allowance or not.

According to Turbo Tax your estimated tax liability is about 11,900, which means you should have about $230 withheld from your paycheck every week (based on 52 weeks per year).

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?