Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am having trouble getting a copy of my 1999 1040 tax form.

Customer Question
I am having trouble...

I am having trouble getting a copy of my 1999 1040 tax form. I have called many IRS numbers and received a recorded message on each that it is not available. I need it for a pension that was stolen.

Accountant's Assistant: Which tax year are you filing for?

1999

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the Accountant to know before I connect you?

How do I get the 1999 tax form from the IRS?

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/30/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 20 days ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Actual copies of your tax returns are generally available for the current tax year and as far back as six years. The 1999 year would not be available from the IRS.

While the SSA has copies of W2s from as far back as 1999, they do not keep copies of your tax return.

Was the pension a 401k or one that was reported on your W2 ?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
on a 1099R

If you were issued a 1099R that far back there would not be a record of that at the IRS nor the SSA. 1099R distributions do not get sent to the SSA.

I am sorry but a copy of anything for 1999 would be restricted to W2s as they are kept by SSA but not IRS from that far back.