Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a Statute of Limitations on changing Self

Customer Question
Is there a Statute...

Is there a Statute of Limitations on changing Self Employment income?

Accountant's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I was audited by IRS and signed unlimitd increase in Statute. When I went to SS office and showed my INCREASE in 2002-2003-2004-2005 Income it took 2 weeks for them to call me back and say the years are TOO OLD

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I went to SS ofice in Hackensack and was told since I hadn't paid, I cant cahnge old years. In May 2018 I went to Leesburg office and TODAY I was told it was too lang ago

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have the IRS reports. BUT all I want to know is IS there a statute of Limitations for changing old years Self Employment income to change my monthly bnefit

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
5/31/2018
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, it is. You have 3 years to change or report your self-employment income. After statute of limitation is over you can only report or correct W2 income with a hard copy of W2.

There are some exceptions to the rules but they are not very clear. Here they are: https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home%2Fhandbook/handbook.14/handbook-1424.html